Brake System Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake System Problem

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
DRLongo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Brake System Problem

So I the brake line to the rear drums from the proportioning valve on my '92 blew last week. Installed all new SS lines and bled the system starting with rear passenger, driver passenger, front passenger, ...and here is where I ran in to problems. I got nothing coming out out of the bleed valve. I narrowed my problem down to the shuttle in the proportioning valve. It seems that as long as I press slow and steady on the break pedal, the front passenger caliper gets pressure. Soon as I press non the brake with normal foot pressure it is like the shuttle jams against the valve body and prevents any pressure getting to the FP caliper. Did I forget something when bleeding the lines or is it time for a new proportioning valve?

DRLongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
DRLongo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nevermind, for anyone else having this problem i pulled apart the shuttle valve section of the proportioning valve after removing the switch sensor and reset the shuttle valve in its proper position. Problem seems solved.
Unread 04-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

exactly the correct fix and thanks for posting back. One function of the proportioning valve is to direct the braking to the remaining circuit if one side fails. It's pretty simple to fix, but a big mess and a lot of bleed after.

You should probably replace teh rest of the hard lines before it happens again; they are all the same age.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
DRLongo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced all the hard lines with ss after the rear line blew.

Tags
brake bleeding , brake proportioning valve

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.