brake question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > brake question

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
jimaug87
2005 TJ Wrangler 

brake question

My brake have been feeling spongy and soft so i checked out my master cylinder to check the fluid, and the front smaller compartment is empty. im going to fill it up today when i swing by autozone for some fluid. but what are the 2 compartments for? why is the front one empty? could there be a leak and have one empty and have the other still work? my brake have been progressivly getting worse, faster then pads wear. Thanks, you guys are always a help.

jimaug87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
sequel

So the smaller compartment is fluid for the rear brakes. They have two separate chambers so it it isolates the front from the rear providing some redundancy in case of failure.

So if you have no fluid in the small chamber, it means you probably have a leak. Check both wheel cylinders in the rear for leaks. You may have to replace them and then bleed the brakes once you fill the fluid.
285/75R16 Dunlop Mud Rovers
sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You will definitely have to bleed the rear brakes.

Also the leak may be in the line that runs from the proportioning valve
to the rear axle or a line on the rear axle could also be leaking.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
jimaug87
2005 TJ Wrangler 

redundancy in case of failures, like mine. good going jeep engineers, so right now im just stopping with the front brakes huh? ok. so i just trace the line from the smaller compartmenmt to the back of the jeep until i find something wet. cool. thanks guys. i think its time for new pads anyway.
jimaug87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.