Brake proportional valve ? Again - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
ton12loc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Brake proportional valve ? Again

I posted a question about this valve yesterday and got some answers to replace it. It was new and I must have just got a defective one. I was wondering if the xj and yj valve are the same? There are some xj's in local junk yards and usually no yj's. I was supposed to leave for Ocean city Jeep week in MD Wednesday and I wouldn't be able to get a new one by then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-22-2017, 07:16 AM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As long as the XJs have the same set up disc/ drum. You should be good to go.
I would grab the fittings from the brake lines going into the proportioning valve to make sure they are the same too.
You may have to get some adapters or re flair some lines.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-22-2017, 08:11 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Can you use the old one? Or maybe swap the switch?

Bill
Dodge did not build my Jeep.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.

post #4 of 17 Old 08-22-2017, 07:21 PM
mikwallace

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what is the purpose of the proportional valve? Mine is NOT connected. Brakes work great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 Old 08-23-2017, 01:08 AM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikwallace View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread, but what is the purpose of the proportional valve? Mine is NOT connected. Brakes work great.

Main purpose is to restrict (proportion )fluid flow to the rear drums when you hit the brakes hard in a panic stop so the rear drums don't lock up. Secondary function is to alert you if yhe front or rear system loses fluid.
mikwallace likes this.

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #6 of 17 Old 08-23-2017, 08:31 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikwallace View Post

So you're saying that this is in your Jeep, but not hooked up?

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #7 of 17 Old 08-23-2017, 10:09 AM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Well, he/she doesn't mention what type of Jeep they have or what mods have been done to it. If it's 4-wheel drums, then there's no purpose to the prop valve.

It's just there because the volume for the calipers is larger than the drum cylinder, and so when the master pushes enough fluid to make the caliper work, it locks the rear up hard. So, as Drednot said, you put a prop valve in to proportion the amount of fluid going to the front vs the rear when braking. <- Wrong

With your help I will resist the urge to buy a chrome grill guard for yet another day.

Last edited by project_mercy; 08-23-2017 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Price is Wrong
post #8 of 17 Old 08-23-2017, 11:22 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

For a better explanation of how and why...

project_mercy likes this.

Bill
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-23-2017, 03:54 PM
mikwallace

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, it's not connected. It's a 1990 YJ I bought last month for a project. Frame and body in good shape. 4.2L carb engine with 264k miles. A999 auto trans with 20k on the rebuild. Front disk haven't even looked at the back brakes. Not got that far. I'm reading the thread about putting 4.0L head on 4.2 L block. Engine has a rod slapping and low compression so it's time for a rebuild or replacement engine. My past jeep experience is from the 80's. Had a 75 cj5 new and a 79 cj7 till '86. Just bought a '01 GC limited a couple years ago for a tow vehicle behind the RV. Out of town for a couple weeks I'll look at rear brakes upon return. Got windshield and dash torn down now. Maybe I'll start my own tread on this rebuild. But, this is the best site/forum for jeeps!!! I'll watch the video you posted on the prop valve. Thanks!'

Last edited by mikwallace; 08-23-2017 at 07:48 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-23-2017, 05:16 PM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
For a better explanation of how and why...
Man, Klowns are wonderful.

With your help I will resist the urge to buy a chrome grill guard for yet another day.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-23-2017, 07:48 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_mercy View Post
Man, Klowns are wonderful.
Considering proportion valves were used on pickups with 4 wheel drum brakes, before disks were ever offered...and considering proportion valves regulate pressure, not volume, I think the Klown's explanation makes a lot more sense than yours did.

Bill
post #12 of 17 Old 08-23-2017, 08:58 PM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Considering proportion valves were used on pickups with 4 wheel drum brakes, before disks were ever offered...and considering proportion valves regulate pressure, not volume, I think the Klown's explanation makes a lot more sense than yours did.
I think you mistook my reply for sarcasm. I enjoyed the video, which is why I liked it and I even updated mine to flag it as incorrect. I will attempt to avoid replying in the future.

post #13 of 17 Old 08-23-2017, 09:01 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_mercy View Post
I think you mistook my reply for sarcasm. I enjoyed the video, which is why I liked it and I even updated mine to flag it as incorrect. I will attempt to avoid replying in the future.
Sorry I misunderstood. Mea culpa.

Bill
post #14 of 17 Old 08-23-2017, 09:05 PM
mikwallace

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post

Let me clarify "not hooked up". The electrical connector is not connected.

post #15 of 17 Old 08-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's good. But the electrical connector is just there to tell you if there is a problem.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.