brake problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > brake problems

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 08-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
cuate01221
1995 YJ Wrangler 

brake problems

I noticed yesterday that my brakes felt a little low, then it went straight to the floor so I just figured one of my lines blew. I pulled over to check it out and not a single drop of fluid on the floor? Opened up the resevouir and it was full too... I'm starting to think its the master cylinder just going bad. I did notice that if I keep my foot on the brake pedal it will hold pressure but as soon as I let off even the slightest and push back in, it goes lower and lower until I have no brakes at all, then if I let go and wait a minute they work as long as i hold it steady and don't let off. Any ideas?

EDIT: I just did both front calipers and bled the system out correctly.

cuate01221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you just replace both calipers? The common thing is to put them in upside down. Is your bleed screw on the top or bottom? If it is on the bottom of the caliper you need to flip them.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It does sound like the master is going bad; you can usually get OK pressure by quickly applying the brakes, but lose it with your foot sitting on the pedal. Time for a new one! Don't forget to bench bleed it before hooking up the lines.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Did you just replace both calipers? The common thing is to put them in upside down. Is your bleed screw on the top or bottom? If it is on the bottom of the caliper you need to flip them.
Ditto, common mistake and I did it myself. Look at your calipers. The bleeder must be on the top. The calipers have a left and right side.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

X3. Ask me how I know.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
cuate01221
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Both are on top, I think I know what's wrong with it, called up my dad and told him what was happening and he told me that he was checking it out and noticed brake fluid was a little low so he filled it with power steering fluid : gonna try bleeding it all out today.
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuate01221 View Post
Both are on top, I think I know what's wrong with it, called up my dad and told him what was happening and he told me that he was checking it out and noticed brake fluid was a little low so he filled it with power steering fluid : gonna try bleeding it all out today.
Oh no!!!! I hope you can save the flexible lines a reservoir. My son's buddy did the same thing. Cost him $400 to get fixed.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
cuate01221
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah! Well good thing its gonna be parked for a manual swap Time to start inspecting!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.