Brake Problem Soft Pedal - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake Problem Soft Pedal

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70worm View Post
So I put new u-joints and pads on the front of my YJ back in Jan. After that I have a real soft pedal and comes to a slow stop. My brakes were not very good before that, but they really don't work good now. Since this happened I have changed the pro-valve, rotors, master cyl, pads, and bled about 20 times. Yes my bleeders are above the line. 2 years ago I replaced pads, rubber and metal lines, and MC. Somebody told me it's possible for rubber line the get a bulge in it when you hit the brakes and cause this, I don't think that's the problem.
I would thoroughly inspect your front calipers for leaks. It is somewhat common to have the caliper seal compromised after replacing the front pads. This is because they where further extended to compensate for the worn pads, then when the new pads are installed, the piston is forced back into the caliper(across the seal) to account for the new thickness of the new pads. If there was any corrosion at all on the pistons while extended with the worn pads, then this corrosion compromises the seal when pushed back into the caliper when new thick pads are installed. Being how you primarily noticed this after new pads were installed, I would suspect that you are in need of new calipers. These will be impossible to bleed as each actuation would then allow air to leak back in after each actuation.

idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
It did for me. So your statement isn't entirely true.
Your pedal "SHOULD" have a direct mechanical connection through the booster to the MC. The only possible way that the booster could cause a soft pedal is if it is ultra over boosting the pedal pressure. The most common symptom of a bad booster is no/weak assist and having to use excessive pressure with your foot.
If the pedal feels like your stepping on a rubber ball then look somewhere besides the booster.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #18
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70worm View Post
So I put new u-joints and pads on the front of my YJ back in Jan. After that I have a real soft pedal and comes to a slow stop. My brakes were not very good before that, but they really don't work good now. Since this happened I have changed the pro-valve, rotors, master cyl, pads, and bled about 20 times. Yes my bleeders are above the line. 2 years ago I replaced pads, rubber and metal lines, and MC. Somebody told me it's possible for rubber line the get a bulge in it when you hit the brakes and cause this, I don't think that's the problem.
Just read it again...my comprehension must be failing.
You said you put on new U joints and pads...by that do you mean the knuckle Us or the drive shaft Us? If you pulled off the calipers and were musceling around the steering joints there is a VERY distint possibility that you stressed the one or both of the rubber hoses going to the calipers. either by hanging them while you were working or by having them drop once or twice in the process.
Like I said before, it doesn't take much bulge to make the pedal soft 1 or 2 CCs of extra fluid is a lot on the pedal.
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #19
70worm
1977 CJ5 

Front axle U-joints. So you might be right about the hoses, so I ordered some and will put them on Thursday.
70worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
70worm
1977 CJ5 

Lol, your right I dropped them more than once or twice!
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
70worm
1977 CJ5 

Ended up being soft vac hose to booster. Also new check valve on booster was sticky. WD40
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #22
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Still confused here but I'm glad you got it fixed.
Soft pedal to me would be like stepping on foam rubber. lots of travel at the same pressure with no effect on stopping. A bad booster would feel more like a hard push then a block wall with the heap not stopping as quick. maybe even having to use both feet to get enough push to stop.
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #23
70worm
1977 CJ5 

I know, but I spent about $600 replacing everything then the neighbor pulled off the hose, shook the check valve didn't here anything so he tapped it on the jeep put it back in and the brakes worked on and off when we drove to town so when we got home I sprayed it with wd40 and now it works.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.