Brake pedal stays down, won't come back up - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake pedal stays down, won't come back up

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
2FarWest
1993 YJ Wrangler 

had the same problem...

I had the exact same problem as the OP.
Step on the brakes and the pedal would not return and brakes stayed applied.
Picked up a master cylinder and booster from the local "recycler"for $40 and because the master cylinder swap would require more work I swapped the booster first and ... problem solved.

2FarWest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #17
92cherokeelimit
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
Let me ask you a question. Why do you think they put brakes on all four wheels?

You're not just putting yourself in danger, you are risking other people's lives too if you put that thing on a public road, bad idea. Maybe you should trade that jeep in for a much safer bicycle. Oh and it's not a good idea to disconnect any of the brakes on that either, just FYI.

Come on guy, use your head.
lol i happened to have alot of bikes without brakes or very poor brakes first thing that wears out on them. We used to just use our shoes. Im not worried about crashing anyone as ive been using my car for my in town driving. Im worried about hurting my jeep thats all. I guess if you think i should just shred my drums till i can fix it then w/e. But i do have a family I need to take care of my time i can spend on the jeep is limited i have done alot to this jeep already and im not going to risk buggering it up. And for the record im 90 % sure its just my rear shoes now and disconnecting them was an easy way too find that out...
92cherokeelimit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 02:30 AM   #18
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You say you have a family to take of if you dont fix the brakes you might not be around to do that.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #19
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A set of shoes for your rear brakes for your jeep is only like a $20. So now take the time to put them on. You spent more time to do something wrong than time to fix your problem. Even with hardware is less than another $10. I would like to know where you live so I can watch out for you if I come through your town. You are not only endangering yourself but all those around you. If you don't take the time to save a life then you should not drive that piece of junk on the road. Brakes on all axles are not an option to have on any vehicle on the road. Sorry if this seems harsh to you but fact is a fact safety does not take a break for anyone out there. I just pray that when you need the brakes the most that you are the only one in the vehicle and it happens where no one else is near you.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
92cherokeelimit
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ok im not driving it alright lol... i bought the shoes and put em in i gotta wait 1 drum was shot it comes in tomorrow. I HAVE A CAR I been driving. I just been moving the jeep around my driveways. Its on the blocks as we speak till its done . I knew it wasnt safe once i unhooked itand moved it but it still made it to the other driveway so i can work on it. The spring from the e brake got in between the shoe and wrecked my drum that was the awful sound.
But dont worry bout my jeep killing you or anyone ok its safely jacked and blocked. Ill tell ya something though i worked on a few vehicles in my day and alot of cars have completely broken back brakes if it dont make noise ppl dont notice. In a car 90% of yer braking power is from the front. i know for a fact alot of cars on the road have there back brakes shot ... if they are drum brakes that is. Not saying its good or nothing but I hate brake drums if i could convert to discs on the back that would rock.
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #21
92cherokeelimit
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
A set of shoes for your rear brakes for your jeep is only like a $20. So now take the time to put them on. You spent more time to do something wrong than time to fix your problem. Even with hardware is less than another $10. I would like to know where you live so I can watch out for you if I come through your town. You are not only endangering yourself but all those around you. If you don't take the time to save a life then you should not drive that piece of junk on the road. Brakes on all axles are not an option to have on any vehicle on the road. Sorry if this seems harsh to you but fact is a fact safety does not take a break for anyone out there. I just pray that when you need the brakes the most that you are the only one in the vehicle and it happens where no one else is near you.
holy sit i said i wasn't driving it on or near town ok SORRY chill out.Piece of what **** man honestly. Tell me i cant drive it on my road and driveways at 10 -20 km an hr whos it gonna hurt.Its my Jeep its my land i do what i want. It blocked and i fix tomorrow once i have time.Iim not gonna go racing down the highway with no brakes ok. Im just learning still ....ok how it worked if the front and back brake systems are independent.. The fluid can go from one side to the other or not? Prolly good time to bleed em anyhows.
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #22
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is not what you stated before. But don't jump up and say one thing say something else latter.And then start at me.

" Im not worried about crashing anyone as ive been using my car for my in town driving."

Your quote from your post. Nothing about on your land!
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
92cherokeelimit
1992 XJ Cherokee 

what you think it meant ? aside from that i asked a question. i wanted an answer Not your opinion anyway.
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #24
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92cherokeelimit View Post
holy sit i said i wasn't driving it on or near town ok SORRY chill out.Piece of what **** man honestly. Tell me i cant drive it on my road and driveways at 10 -20 km an hr whos it gonna hurt.Its my Jeep its my land i do what i want. It blocked and i fix tomorrow once i have time.Iim not gonna go racing down the highway with no brakes ok. Im just learning still ....ok how it worked if the front and back brake systems are independent.. The fluid can go from one side to the other or not? Prolly good time to bleed em anyhows.
I don't know about the other guys, but I'm and finished following this thread. and NO front brakes are NOT 90 perscent, that is total bull. Good luck!
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #25
92cherokeelimit
1992 XJ Cherokee 

just dont see why everyone has to get mad like im gonna come driving into there house and smash everything like holy moly sorry im fixing it ok thread is done . cant even ask a question sorry again. its just my yard bomb till i get it done up sorry for getting you guys so upset .
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #26
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Newbie question: What factors contribute to booster failure? Just time and components wearing out? Or can gunked up fluid or air in the system expediate failure? (My fluid was opaque and chunky when I originally bought the vehicle)

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #27
92cherokeelimit
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well im bleeding it out right away i have to put the other sides shoes in and go pick up my new drum. For the record I think what happened was when my ebrake cable snapped parts of that assembly got between the shoes and drums and allover.it definatley wrecked my one brake drum, a spring was between the drum and shoe gouged it up all horrible. I think parts of the ebrake caused the pedal to not come back up on its own . With the back ones disconnected it did come back up just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.