Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Brake Pads worn into steering knuckle

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Smash209 
#1 ·
while I was doing a tire rotation today I noticed my steering knuckles have little divits in them where the outter brake pads ride. any easy fixes for this??? Thinking of welding the divits up and grinding it down. Does anyone make the little metal shims like Ford uses for this problem.

#2 ·
Yep, that happens to all of them. Dont know if anyone has found any shims to work, but I know what your talking about. As far as welding them up....dont know. I dont know if the heat would hurt them or not.

I ended up swaping on WJ knuckles and brakes. I am rid of the problem you talk of, but now I am warping rotors. Well...fix one problem, you get another.

#3 ·
Cobra Jeep said:
Yep, that happens to all of them. Dont know if anyone has found any shims to work, but I know what your talking about. As far as welding them up....dont know. I dont know if the heat would hurt them or not.

I ended up swaping on WJ knuckles and brakes. I am rid of the problem you talk of, but now I am warping rotors. Well...fix one problem, you get another.
welcome to the wj rotor club......our 02 wj goes thru rotors at about a set a year. i ended up getting the ones from advanced auto that have a lifetime warranty, just take em back every year that way!

martin

#4 ·
I think i'll just weld and grind the knuckle back to spec. unless someone has a better idea.

#5 ·
Any other ideas before I break out the welder???:confused:

#6 ·
I say go for it, just clean the diviots real good and weld just a tad at a time and let it cool down all the way between welds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.