Brake line parts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake line parts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
mattyrayb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Brake line parts?

Thanks for all the help on my project so far guys.

2 more things:

1. I assume this is part of the brake line. See pics. This is the old axle.
A black tube was running into the brass piece. What was that?
Another line, braided, was running into the front but I cut it off...that was the brake line.

The second pic is the new axle. The was no brass fitting to put the tube on to, ther was only a bolt. The brass fitting will not fit into the hole because the brass is too big.
You'll see a little nub sticking up to the right. Should I use that even though it's smaller than the tube? I could probably use a clamp to tighten it.
OR
Do I need to get a fitting to fit in the hole and connect the tube to it?

2. I'm having a hard time screwing the old braided brake line on because the one end is connected and the other end is fixed, meaning it doesn't spin. I was going to get a new brake line but it doesn't look like the end unscrews, it looks pressed on.
Is there a solution to this?

Unread 07-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The bolt is wrong... you need to buy a new rubber hose on for the rear brake line. It will have that brass block as part of the new line. The brass fitting that bolts the brake line / block to the axle is also the vent tube. You need to vent the axle or you could blow your axle seals. (or pop out the rubber diff plug!) The new axle looks like an older style that had the vent hose on the axle itself. Personally, I would drill and tap the axle to use the newer style hose and fitting. Then, just get a cap to seal off that hose barb... a vacuum cap should work along with some RTV silicon in the hole in case it falls off.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

EMT is spot on with his info. Since the vent line is not installed, take the time to run it up as high as possible to keep water out of it. Even the little check breather can allow water to get in. Some folks will run it up into the back of the body or get wild and put it up into the cab area. I heard of one feller drilling a hole to where the vent tube slid inside the roll bar. Great idea but maybe a little excessive. There are several vents on your Jeep, one on the front and rear axle, at the tranny and transfer, combine them and put one breather high up under the hood.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.