Brake Lights Quit Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake Lights Quit Working

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
PrestonUSA1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Brake Lights Quit Working

Hello YJF,

Yes! I did check the fuse. All the running lights work, except when I hit the brake the brake lights do not come on. Who has seen this before, I suspect it is an easy fix once you find the bad connection. I checked the connector at the pedal switch, it was good. I have not tested the pedal switch yet, are they prone to failure?

Best Regards,

Preston

Unread 11-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the bulbs yet?

Have you tried cleaning up the bulb sockets?

The back lights are grounded by their mounting bolts. Take them off and clean those up.

Do you have a circuit testing light? Start at the bulb sockets and work your way back toward the switch.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yes... you can use a test light at the pedal connection...

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are the terminals on the fuse itself clean?

I had some crazy issues with my brake lights, turn signals, and even reverse light. Turns out the terminals on the fuse were dirty, keeping everything from working properly.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check your turn signals for function. If they work, you can eliminate the possibility of any wiring/socket/bulb issues. At that point it pretty much has to be either the brake switch or ,less likely, the turn signal stalk.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Check your turn signals for function. If they work, you can eliminate the possibility of any wiring/socket/bulb issues. At that point it pretty much has to be either the brake switch or ,less likely, the turn signal stalk.
Brake Switch...there is a little connector down by the brake pedal that can be knocked off with your foot. Easy to check.
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Turn signals work? They use the same filament as the brakes. If they work, then the grounds and wiring are good. The brake signal goes through the turn signal switch, but is a separate set of contacts. That way the brakes and 4 ways work with the ignition off, but the turn signals won't.
The wire on the brake light switch is near the top of the brake pedal, sometimes gets kicked off. Start there and work towards the column. It is a tight fit.
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If it is both brake lights you really only have two culprits.

1. fuse

2. brake switch

Make sure you're checking the correct fuse. I can't remember how it is labeled, but I know it doesn't say "brake". I believe it is labeled "haz/stop" and on my YJ it is located in the upper right corner of the fuse box. It is a blue, 15A fuse.

If it is the brake light switch, you will find it underneath the brake pedal and is a pain to replace. You can check it a couple of ways. You can remove the connector and use a multimeter to check continuity, or you can check it by having someone place a multimeter on the brake light socket. One lead on ground, the other on the connection, (there are two so make sure you're on the right one. One for tail light with lights on and the other for brake light). It should show continuity when you have someone step on the brake pedal, and then show open when they release. If it shows open in both positions, and the fuse is good, then the switch is bad.

Make sure you don't have a bad fuse as a new switch is about 25 bucks or so.
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Okay sorry to hijack but I'm having a similar issue with mine, except the brake lights don't get enough power to shine fully. I noticed when I swapped in LEDs that they would glow slightly when brake depressed but they do not come on as if it were a brake light.

Turn signals work fine as does tail/running lights. I've replaced the pedal switch 3 times. Seems like a poor ground issue at the switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
PrestonUSA1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hello YJF,

I changed out the peday swith (what a PITA) and still nothing. Started wiggling the harness and got intermittent brake lights. Got a loose connnection up under the dash somewhere.

Preston
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
willawolfe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well just keep putting new parts in! I'm sure you will eventually replace the right part. Or answer the questions posed in the responses. May be simple as bulbs or grounding of the light fixtures to the body
willawolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
PrestonUSA1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Brake Lights are fixed, turned out to be connector that connects the steering column harness to the rest of the system. Wire brushed it and slapped some dielectric grease on there and am GTG.

Thanks for the Responses!
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonUSA1 View Post
Brake Lights are fixed, turned out to be connector that connects the steering column harness to the rest of the system. Wire brushed it and slapped some dielectric grease on there and am GTG.

Thanks for the Responses!
photo of said harness connector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.