Brake Lights not working?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake Lights not working??

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
relso1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Brake Lights not working??

Hi all,
I'm trying to get my 92 YJ on the road, but have recently discovered that my brake lights won't turn on! I have check both filaments in the bulbs, the brake switch works (which I only discovered after spending $20 on a new one ) I've checked fuses, relays, etc. There is power going to the switch, and both turn signals and hazards work fine.

Any ideas??

relso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

May be a long shot but sounds like you checked everything else... here is my old thread for a similar issue:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...-bulb-1161064/

The long and "short" is that I removed the housing for the left tail light and found a broken wire - you can scroll through and see the pics...

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
relso1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, but after an hour and a half of my electrical engineer friend poking around under the dash with a power probe, we found it was just a bad connection in the wiring harness
relso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Relso, which connection? Just curious.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a problem with mine once, and I've put the details out of mind. But IIRC someone told me in traffic the brake lights weren't working. Got it home and the turn signals and flashers worked, but not brake lights. Turned out the part of the turn signal switch that cancels the brake signal to the turn signal so it flashes failed for both sides. So signals and flashers worked, but brake lights on both sides were "canceled". New switch and new cancelling cam fixed it. At least that's how I remember it. And it took some study of the circuit diagrams to finally locate the problem. I'd never heard of this before or since.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
1320yj

I had same problem it was a bad connection at the turn signal switch connector at the bottom of the steering column.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.