Brake lights issues, 94 Wrangler YJ Sahara - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake lights issues, 94 Wrangler YJ Sahara

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
wcorp87370
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Brake lights issues, 94 Wrangler YJ Sahara

My tail break lights and turn signals work fine until I turn on my lights on. Once I turn the lights on nothing in the back works, however if I turn my hazard lights on, brake lights and hazard lights work in the back. Front lights work well. Any ideas what to check?

wcorp87370 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Go through all the grounds for the lights. Headlight grounds on the side of the radiator, tail lights ground through the tail light assembly mounting screws. Clean them and make sure they are all secure.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
OldSkull75
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar issue with my 94. When I turned the head lights on the wipers came on too. It was the grownd wire behind the headlights. I unscrewed them, cleaned and re secured the ground.
OldSkull75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
wcorp87370
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I will check it out tonight. will let you know
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
wcorp87370
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did grounds on headlights but could not figure out the tail lights. Previous owner put the tail light guards on it. NOt sure how to get in.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcorp87370 View Post
I did grounds on headlights but could not figure out the tail lights. Previous owner put the tail light guards on it. NOt sure how to get in.
If you can see the 4 Phillips head screws (you should be able to see them)on the face of the lites, remove them. This will allow you to remove the lens. Once that is off you will see 3 bolts holding the housing onto the body. Remove those and the guard will come off. If you reach up into the corner of the body from below you will find the connector in the wire harness that allows you to remove the whole thing. Make sure hat he ground wire connection inside the lite housing is good and secure.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check the wide pigtail under the steering column. Make sure all the pins on the inside of it are connecting properly. It is the pigtail that is clipped into the side of the steering column under the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would clean the grounds and mating surface of the tails and also try them without the tail light guards on.
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
wcorp87370
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I got it. It was one screw in the left tail light which was controlling the whole thing. Was a little rusted. Once I cleaned it everything worked fine. Thanks for your help, guys
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
wcorp87370
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I got it. It was one screw in the left tail light which was controlling the whole thing. Was a little rusted. Once I cleaned it everything worked fine. Thanks for your help, guys
Can't believe the whole tail comes down to one screw, but what the hack
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Can't believe the whole tail comes down to one screw, but what the hack
Thanks for posting the fix. You HAVE to have good grounds or all kinds of weird things can happen.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brake , lights , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.