brake lights don't work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > brake lights don't work

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 05-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
mcruickshank

brake lights don't work

I went for an inspection today and found out my brake lights don't work, but everything else does. Turn signals work. Parking lights work.

I checked the fuse (but that shouldn't be the problem since the parking lights work).
I put a voltmeter on the brake light switch that is located behind the dash. It appears to be working correctly, yet I am not 100% confident that I tested it correctly. Does anyone know the correct leads to test?
Anybody have a similar probelm?

Thanks in for any help,
cruick

mcruickshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Brian2o0o
2013 JK Wrangler 

My brakelights quit working a while back.... it was the fuse. If I remember correctly the headlights/parking lights were still working even though the brake lights weren't.
Unread 05-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
alandchris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i had a problem with one of my brake lights - the grounding was bad - the factory ground appeared to be from the 3 bolt/screws that attach the light housing to the body of the jeep - mine did not work because of some 'bondo' work done near the light - so the bolt/screws did not go into metal -

I ran a copper wire from the bolt/screw up to a metal piece on the inside of the jeep - all good now. Funny tho - if this is your case, both would be ungrounded.
alandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i had the same problem a while back..it ended up being the wires going to the switch on the pedal...i put new ends on them and it worked like a champ...on a different note, you have to be a contorsionist (sp??) to get under the dash and work ...i'd check the switch and wiring....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.