Brake light on dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake light on dash

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-19-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
buzzbomb

Brake light on dash

The brake light on the dash of my '92 wrangler is coming on sometimes when I slow down. The brakes seem fine, and the fluid is clear and full. What could be causing this? Thanks, Dave

buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
jeephalfacar

check your e brake the switch that shows its engaged on dash might be going or slightly touching
jeephalfacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2002, 05:07 AM   #3
buzzbomb

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the e-brake switch,, from what I can tell by moving it around, but I'll check more closely.
Unread 12-20-2002, 10:20 AM   #4
gojurick

My brake light used to come on and stay on periodically. That problem went away after the dealership fixed the e-brake recall issue.
gojurick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2002, 02:39 PM   #5
LoOpY

the causes of a brake light could be a brake fluid float malfunction, but jeeps dont have these

or a pressure differential switch malfunction, but jeeps dont have these

or a brake pad wear indicator, but jeeps dont have these

(noticing a trend here? hehe)

so that leaves one of two things:
1. the park brake switch is either being closed inadvertantly, or its malfunctioning
2. theres a short in the wiring somewhere

probably the best way to start diagnosing would be to cable tie your ebrake the whole way in the up position so it cant move, if this doesnt solve the problem, then its gotta be a bunk switch or a wiring problem. if it does solve the problem, then you simply have to adjust your park brake cables

g'luck
LoOpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2002, 02:45 PM   #6
buzzbomb

Thanks for the explanation. I'll get to it this weekend. Cheers!!
Unread 12-20-2002, 02:47 PM   #7
Protoxis

i just had this happen to me this weekend i replaced the wheel cylinders ( one was leaking) and bled the breaks and the light whent away. hope this helps this was on a 92 YJ
Protoxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 10:10 AM   #8
XtraWorm

The brake light is directly connected to a switch on the parking brake foot lever. Try pulling the lever up, this should disengauge the switch. If not, check the condition of the switch itself.
XtraWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2002, 12:22 PM   #9
YosemiteSam

I had the same problem and it went away after the dealership replaced the emergency brake assembly on the recall work. Beware! The fuel pump ground wire attaches to the emergency brake assembly. The dealership failed to secure the ground and my Jeep would die.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.