Brake issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake issue

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
lonerider6
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Brake issue

1995 Wrangler YJ, 2.5L, manual transmission, vehicle is stock and is my everyday driver.

Yesterday the clutch pedal began to stick. It would come to a hard stop and then move down. It did it 5 or 6 times. This morning when I was checking it and pushing the pedal by hand while looking at the clutch slave push rod and etc I noticed a clicking noise. Eventually after several clicks and sticks the clutch pedal dropped about two inches lower than the brake pedal. The pedal still activates the clutch when starting from a stop and shifting but the feel is not the same and the pedal is lower than normal. I do not detect a pedal return spring under the dash. When I purchased this YJ 5 years ago the original clutch assembly had worn out after 140,000 miles so I replaced the slave and master, pressure plate, disc, release bearing and pilot bearing. Master cylinder is full, there are no leaks in the slave or the plastic line. My 50 years of experience as a shade tree mechanic tells me that this is a problem with the master cylinder but before I go through the expense and hassle of replacing the entire slave-master system for a second time I figured it was worth a shout for a second opinion.
Thanks. lonerider6 out...

lonerider6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like master...you should be able to replace just the master....
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like maybe the spring in the MC giving out or broken
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
lonerider6
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I remember from doing the last one, or maybe it was when I replaced a similar plastic POS "all in one" unit on my Dodge Ram P/U, that the tube is connected to the cylinder with some kind of crazy clip or something and that the procedure of bleeding the system is different then normal since the slave cylinder does not have a bleeder valve. I think I once heard that it is "self bleeding" or "reverse bleeding" and that if you just fill the master cylinder any air will eventually find its way up and into the master as you pump the pedal and you just add DOT3 as needed. Why can't things be kept simple like in the old days of hot rodding...
lonerider 6 out...
lonerider6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.