Bought used engine...rebuild head? -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bought used engine...rebuild head?

50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring KitHigh Quality Light Bars at a Lower Price!!!!Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Bought used engine...rebuild head?

I bought my first Jeep a few months ago. It's a 1995 YJ 2.5 Rio Grande. It had been run hot and the head was cracked. So I decided to find another engine. I found a 1997 TJ 2.5 (I pretty sure it's from a 1997) that I plan on putting in the Jeep. I only paid $200 for the engine. I've already changed all the sensors over to mine. Here's a few of my questions.. complete newbie here.....

1. I lucked out and it has a Banks header on it...which I plan on reusing. I'm going to put my 95 intake on it. The 97 injectors are grey..and from what I've read..they are 23.2lb injectors. The stock injectors on my 95 are red 19lb injectors. I'm going to change out the O rings anyway. Which injectors would you run? The connectors look the same.

2. I was going to rebuild the head on the original engine. I bought a complete top end rebuild kit before I found out the head was cracked. I have the 97 engine on an engine stand. I don't know anything about the engine. I'm taking a chance with it. I noticed some rust inside the intake runners. But otherwise it don't look bad at all. Would you rebuild the 97 head and check the pistons while you have it out? Or atleast take the head off and check out the internals? I have all new gaskets and head bolts sitting in a box.

3. It also has a helix power tower throttle body spacer on it. Would you run it or not?

4. With the header, would the 4.0 throttle body upgrade make a difference. It would be a easy change since I have everything apart now.

5. The fuel rail does not have a return line. My 95 does, so I'm going to run the 95 fuel rail and intake. But I've googled TJ intake fuel rails..and most have a return line. Any info on this? I haven't seen a TJ yet that did not have the return line.

JSanford1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2015, 10:49 PM   #2
1992 YJ Wrangler 
1: I run the ford yellow injectors on my YJ. Im not sure if the TJ calls for more fuel. The ford ones are 19lb as well, but have a better spray pattern.

2: I would pull it apart just to check it out. The heads are crazy easy to disassemble. It also wouldn't hurt to check out the inside of the engine before going through all of the trouble of the swap. When you pull the head off, if everything looks good, I would just replace valve seals and use some grinding compound to clean up the seats. Other than that you should be good to go.

3: Usually a waste of time. Put it on ebay or cl and see if anyone will buy it.

4: Yes to the header and the TB. While you have it off you should port the back of the TB to match the size of the blade. There is a reduction after the blade that chokes it off a little. Also make sure the intake manifold matches the TB diameter. If not give it a little porting as well.

5: Not sure on the return line with crossing over of rails.

Hope this helps.
1992 YJ 2.5L
Engine Mods:4.0L TB, Ford Design III 19lb Injectors, Firepower Ignition System, Ford TBird Electric Fan, Pacesetter Header, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo Exhaust
Suspension Mods:BDS 2" Lift, M.O.R.E. 5/8" HD Shackles, 1" Brown Dog MML
Other:LED Tails and Herculined
TA-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.