Bought a new YJ this week - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bought a new YJ this week

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
offshore
2005 KJ Liberty 

Bought a new YJ this week

So I totalled my 2005 Unlimited about 3 weeks ago, and now that I could find something that I really wanted I decided to go with a YJ. I loved my 04, but I wanted a real jeep

Spent the last few weeks looking around, and finally found a 1991 YJ on Wednesday.

Motor was replaced a few years ago with a newer inline 6 as well as the tranny. Body is in pretty good shape. Leaf spring lifted about 2-3 inches.

Haven't done much to it yet-ordered seat covers, new console, new hardware for the hood,door pulls, etc. Started painting the hard top today, It started out an off white color and the paint was chipped so I went up to Home Depot and got the stuff. Decided to roll it on, but may sand it back down and go with rattle cans. The roll marks showed a little too much after a few coats.

offshore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
I loved my 04, but I wanted a real jeep
Sig worthy.

Good find. The body looks in really good shape.

Painting the top with a roller kinda... puzzles me. I would think rattle can would be easier and it would look better anyway, but if it works for you.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
offshore
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchness View Post
Painting the top with a roller kinda... puzzles me. I would think rattle can would be easier and it would look better anyway, but if it works for you.
It actually didnt work out too well for me. I wanted to give it a shot to see how it would look and the roller marks were way too visible. I'm only out 8 bucks for the paint and some time though, so no biggie. Picking up a couple rattle cans tomorrow afternoon and will finish it up.
Unread 10-18-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks really clean. I like YJs actually, the square headlights make them different for sure.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

what you did was not easy im a house painter for 30 years , and painted my top black also. if your not good with a brush you have to do it this way . becuse you must move fast and even ,a rattle can wiil look spoty so if you don't mind me telling you how i did mine, tape off your ruber seals around windos, get 1 qt of satin finish oil rustolim , add a little thinner to losing the paint mix it good with paint stick . use a fome roller about 4 inchs long.roll out the two sides first fast and even don't stop in the middle of a stroke go all the way with it , than do your top long strokes from the front of the roof to the back.than next line same thing over laping the wet paint .rember keep the roller wet if you dry roll it you will end up with the same thing you have now. good luck and gongrads on a real jeep .

Last edited by jojojeep1; 10-18-2010 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: miss spell
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
idolax
1992 YJ Wrangler 

SO, the question is how much and howmany miles??
idolax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
offshore
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojeep1 View Post
what you did was not easy...
Thanks for that, i may try to roll it again next time it needs painting and do what you said instead. i think i did the complete opposite of that and you could definitely tell. I just sanded it back down and sprayed on a coat of satin rustoleum and waiting on that to dry. its looking better already.
Unread 10-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
offshore
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idolax View Post
SO, the question is how much and howmany miles??
I paid 4100 for it. The odometer reads at 155, but the PO said the new motor only has around 40k on it and the transmission only has a few thousand on it.
Unread 10-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

its ok kido i do mine once a year becuase i tear it up in the wood , next time give it a try you put a better thickniss down , good luck ,be good God bless.
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
NateWithoutBeer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Clean! Congrats and welcome to the YJ forum
NateWithoutBeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
offshore
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateWithoutBeer View Post
Clean! Congrats and welcome to the YJ forum
Thanks! Did some work to the interior the past few days and finished up the hard top.

The seats and cheap seat covers the PO had on there werent looking too good so I bought some coverking neoprene covers through quad. and got them in yesterday.

Bought a cheap little cup holder thing at wal mart until i get some sort of console

put a box in the back for storage

and put some grip tape on the entry sill thing to keep it from getting dinged up any more. Ordered some hood hardware (latches, windshield tie downs, etc) the ones on there were half chrome and half rust.They should be in today.

Anyone know a way to fix this cheaply?

The PO just had duct tape over it. Is there anywhere online to get the upper dash or a way to fix this without ordering a new one? I know quadratec has some carpet pads or something that would go over it, but I'd rather not have any carpet in the jeep.
Unread 10-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
offshore
2005 KJ Liberty 

got the hardware for the hood this afternoon and got it all put together. it sucks being the last house on the route of UPS. Dont get my packages until close to dark, and cant help but start projects as soon as stuff comes in, even if I do get eaten alive by mosquitos
Unread 10-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
bob082484
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got a spice dash I could try to sell you if your interested.
bob082484 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
offshore
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob082484 View Post
I got a spice dash I could try to sell you if your interested.
I may take you up on that if I cant just fix this.
Unread 10-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Holy ****, that's a nice YJ.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.