Bought my 3rd Jeep last night - 2.5 liter with major oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bought my 3rd Jeep last night - 2.5 liter with major oil leak

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Bought my 3rd Jeep last night - 2.5 liter with major oil leak

I just picked up yet another Jeep last night (93 YJ for $1200) and there is something leaking pretty bad on the passenger side near the distributor.

I found it on Craigslist and I was the first one there with cash. Georgia Jeep most of it's life with ZERO rust. 2.5 liter, 5 speed, soft top and 137k miles.

The PO says it doesn't leak at idle, but it sprays all over the distributor cap and passenger side of the block while at cruising speed.

I haven't even had a chance to look at it yet, but was wondering if anyone has come across this same problem or if there is a known issue with the 2.5 liter motor that would cause this?

I'm hoping it's just a bad oil filter seal, distributor shaft seal, or something simple to fix. The valve cover gasket has already been changed and it didn't help.

Any thoughts on what else could be causing it to leak so bad on that side of the motor?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Unread 04-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The oil pressure sending unit is on that side; it should certainly have the pressure to spray like that if it has a bad seal!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I'm going to wash the whole engine down with some degreaser and see if I can't pinpoint it.

After doing some searching here, it looks like it could be the sender or the o ring for the oil filter adapter.

I'll let you guys know what I find.
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

x2 on Oil sending unit. I had the exact same problem until I replaced mine. Does the oil pressure gauge register something totally inane?
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a slight leak on that side of my block as well and am suspecting the oil pressure sending unit. They're cheap plastic sensors prone to breaking. I'll have a look see today and tell you what I find.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Colo95YJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have also had oil blowing out of the oil dipstick....some days are better/worse than others
Colo95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
88blkyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

mine also had dipstick leakage...just siliconed it up!
88blkyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
I just picked up yet another Jeep last night (93 YJ for $1200)
Your 3rd Jeep, eh? Why you gotta be so selfish? Can't let anybody else have any?
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
Colo95YJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I keep a few wraps of teflon tape on mine
Colo95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

This isn't the dipstick. It pours/sprays out of something and its ALL over the place on that side.

I just came back with some gas for my power washer and I'm going to blast the whole thing down and take it from there.
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
Your 3rd Jeep, eh? Why you gotta be so selfish? Can't let anybody else have any?
I was at the salvage yards all day yesterday and I was beat from walking so much in the hot sun.

When I got home, I checked Craigslist while grabbing something to eat as I usually do and saw it was just posted.

I called the guy and he said a bunch of people had called and were on their way over. I was lucky and got there first and bought it on the spot while other people were lining up out on the street!

I still had food in my mouth while I was getting in the truck and I didn't even have time to tie my shoes.....

You have to be quick to get a deal like that. Pics will follow.
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Update on major oil leak.

Apparently, it is being pushed up out of the dipstick tube. I power washed the entire engine bay the other day and took it for a quick ride around the block today.

You can clearly see that the rubber around the dipstick handle is partially missing and it fits really loose on the tube. It will be no big deal to replace the rubber seal, but the bigger question is going to be: Why is there so much pressure building up in the crankcase?

I checked the orifice on the breather elbow on top of the valve cover and could easily blow through it. The hole looks kind of small (less than 1/8") and I'm wondering if it's just too small to let the crankcase pressure escape? I ran the motor with the elbow disconnected in the driveway and did not see much blow by at all. I did not drive it again with the elbow disconnected though.

Is there something else that I could be overlooking or do to relieve the crankcase pressure?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Unread 04-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have almost the exact same issue....oil leak on the same side. Good to know it might only be the oil sending unit. Sounds like that might be an easy fix if that's the case??

Gonna be washing the engine off tomm and see if that's the case.
GRYDE001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same issue. I replaced the oil pressure sender because it wasnt working right anyway, but that didnt fix the problem. It appears my leak is coming from between the head and block, which is strange because the pushrods are on that side of the block. I picked up a head gasket set at autozone for $35 I just havent takent he time to install it. I am working on getting a V-8 setup for my YJ so I dont know if I will screw with it.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
CrushJeep

Oil pump in the pan can push oil up out of the dipstick area. Thats not good. take off the top where you fill it with oil and see if you have any blowby.
CrushJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.