bought jeep quick question about locks and hardtop. and rear end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bought jeep quick question about locks and hardtop. and rear end

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
camaro-94-z28
1989 YJ Wrangler 

bought jeep quick question about locks and hardtop. and rear end

this is an 89 wrangler. 4 cycl

the first thing is i dont need a key to start my car. how can this be fixed?( i can just turn the ignition and it will start)

and the keys for the full doors dont unlock or lock the doors.

and the top seems to be from a diffrent year jeep cause the plugs dont match up and i dont even think i have windshield washer fluid to flow to the back.
next to the wiper theres a spot where fluid can squirt out

and idk how to plug in or use the defrost on it.

and with the 35 inch all terrain tires what size gears do i want to have a nice top speed. and low end power? and how much for a whole new axle (new and used) i would want the easiest one to install because i dont have a welder or anything.

camaro-94-z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-94-z28 View Post
this is an 89 wrangler. 4 cycl

the first thing is i dont need a key to start my car. how can this be fixed?( i can just turn the ignition and it will start)

and the keys for the full doors dont unlock or lock the doors.

and the top seems to be from a diffrent year jeep cause the plugs dont match up and i dont even think i have windshield washer fluid to flow to the back.
next to the wiper theres a spot where fluid can squirt out

and idk how to plug in or use the defrost on it.

and with the 35 inch all terrain tires what size gears do i want to have a nice top speed. and low end power? and how much for a whole new axle (new and used) i would want the easiest one to install because i dont have a welder or anything.
alot of jeepers can start their cars with other keys. haha.. maybe make a kill switch or something like that? yj doors arent supposed to lock! haha. i doubt other jeepers lock their doors..

your running 35s on a 4 banger with stock gears!?
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
camaro-94-z28
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompatt View Post
alot of jeepers can start their cars with other keys. haha.. maybe make a kill switch or something like that? yj doors arent supposed to lock! haha. i doubt other jeepers lock their doors..

your running 35s on a 4 banger with stock gears!?
i wasnt sure about the half doors locking. but my full doors have looks off a tj maybe? wich would explain the top. and ill prolly do the kill switch thing then.

and im not planning on keeping these stock gears long, that will be my first major buy. the guy that had the jeep before me never took it off road so the 35's where for show.(ill be putting them to use)

and ill pust the numbers on the rear end tomarrow when there is sun so someone could possibly tell me what gears i have now. i currently have a ten bolt with 3:73's in the camaro how hard would be to swap that rear end, and would it be worth it??
Unread 03-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need a new lock cylinder in the column.
A locksmith may be able to make you keyas that fit the doors and tailgate.
If there's no plug in your Jeep at the rear drivers side corner by the hardtop plug then you'll need to find a harness from one that does. Sounds like your Jeep came with a factory soft top and a PO found a hardtop and full doors but no keys...
Unread 03-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Forget the Camaro swap. All 2.5 manual Yj's came with 4.11's. You'll need some thing deeper like 4.88's.http://www.ringpinion.com/Makes.aspx?SearchMode=Make
Unread 03-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
cjapgar

1994 YJ Wrangler 

if the keys fit but it doesnt turn, remove the inner door pannel and loosen the locking bracket with some lube. I used WD40 but i know someone will say it removes the rust resistor or some ****, but it loosened all three of my locks and they all work now. If i had a pic of the lock id post it but my doors are all together right now
()_)-()_)--o-)_)

Bacon is meat candy!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
cjapgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
camaro-94-z28
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjapgar View Post
if the keys fit but it doesnt turn, remove the inner door pannel and loosen the locking bracket with some lube. I used WD40 but i know someone will say it removes the rust resistor or some ****, but it loosened all three of my locks and they all work now. If i had a pic of the lock id post it but my doors are all together right now
o. ok thanks ill have to do that because the keys fit.

what are some costs ill have to look at for the rearend? and what vehichles can i find with a better rear end already in it?? like a ford 8.8. and i assume that this rear differntial is fairly week and if i went gears i should replace everything correct?

with a taller gear wouldnt i have a slower top speed?

and im thinking for long trips i might find some stock size rims and tires how would that help with overall top speed?

sorry for so many questions im a n00b to jeeps as a whole. and the search feature on this site kind of sucks (no offense)
Unread 03-25-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
Treeslam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My doors would not lock when I first got my 94 YJ. One day I tried spraying some solvent in the key hole and down the door panel at the internal lever and after operating the lever several times from the inside, the key began to work from the outside. Now I can lock my Jeep. It really doesn't do much good in the summer as I have half doors. I usually just leave the door unlocked to deter anyone from cutting their way in.
09 GMC(work truck)
Treeslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
cjapgar

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeslam View Post
My doors would not lock when I first got my 94 YJ. One day I tried spraying some solvent in the key hole and down the door panel at the internal lever and after operating the lever several times from the inside, the key began to work from the outside. Now I can lock my Jeep. It really doesn't do much good in the summer as I have half doors. I usually just leave the door unlocked to deter anyone from cutting their way in.
same here with the summer. i mainly lock the doors to keep them from poping open on the road
()_)-()_)--o-)_)

Bacon is meat candy!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
cjapgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
camaro-94-z28
1989 YJ Wrangler 

to the top for my questions to be answered
Unread 03-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
with a taller gear wouldnt i have a slower top speed?
Use the calculator on this page to see what happens.http://www.ringpinion.com/Calc_RPM.aspx BAsically when you put on larger diameter tires you are changing the ratios. With stock tires your Jeep will pull hard off the line and be at a nice RPM at highway speed in 5th. With 31's you loose acceleration and 5th gear will be big time overdrive with no power on hills. With even larger tires it just gets worse. If you get 4:88's the Jeep will go like it was on stock tires with the 31's.
My Jeep is an Auto, I have 3.07 gears. My Jeep on 29"tires would be turning 2191 RPM's at 60. Ideal is 2000-3000 RPM's OK. I put on 33's now I get 1926 RPM's at 60, below ideal. If I swap in 4.11's I would be at 2578 rpms.. dead smack in the sweet spot...hmmmm...anyone got any 4 banger axles they wanna get rid of???
Unread 03-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
cableguy01960
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I brought my locks to a locksmith and had them rebuilt. the three doors come out easy, the coll um is a little more involved to rip apart but is doable. If I had thought it through I would have them keyed alike, I had no keys when i got the jeep so I was starting from scratch I remember it being reasonably priced. Lata Kevin
cableguy01960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 06:43 AM   #13
camaro-94-z28
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok so using that calculator and what others said i want 4.88's. now how bad is the rear end i have currently going to hate these 4.88's how can i strengthen it, or what rear end would be easiest to "bolt up"?
Unread 03-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
camaro-94-z28
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If I were to want to order a ford 8.8 tonight with 4.88's. Where would I want to buy it? What else would I need?
How hard would installation be?

If I just wanted to put the dears in the d35 what would I need? Where would I want to buy it from? And what would I want to buy to strengthen the rear end?
Unread 03-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #15
beneharris
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjapgar View Post
i'm a locksmith and i use wd-40 all the time. its great
beneharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.