Bought an 89 YJ what should I do to it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bought an 89 YJ what should I do to it

07-15 JEEP JK Inner axle tube SleevesBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearExtremeTerrain's July Sale - Save up to 35%!

Unread 06-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Bought an 89 YJ what should I do to it

So I bought this YJ yesterday that has lived it's whole life in Virginia. The tub is ridiculous clean on the thing.

It has a 3" lift (not sure what kind), trying to figure out what type of wheels would look good on it, and also a tire size that would fit with the lift that's on it.

What do you guys think.

Facebook|YouTube|#1AAUTO ON INSTAGRAM
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
atkbra
1987 YJ Wrangler 

beautiful jeep mate.
I would put a little beefier tire on there 33's would fit perfect.
Then change the gears to somewhere around 3.75 you can go 4.11's but it wont hardly do 70 MPH with 4.11's
is it the 4.2?
If so i would recommend at least a new carb if not finding a 4.0 head and going fuel injected. the swap is supposed to be pretty easy.
I recommend replacing all your fluids. Mine had mud water in the radiator when i first bought it.
For now id say just drive the sucker, things are gonna go wrong eventually and you have to worry about fixing them then for now have some fun with it
atkbra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Start with Nutter Bypass, motorcraft 2100 carb swap, 33" would be good.
Unread 06-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What I've written below assumes the OP isn't made of money.

Why are you all recommending replacing major expensive parts before you figure out if they aren't working yet? Telling someone to replace the carb, replace the distributor, and bypass the computer (Nutter bypass) before they change the oil, look at the spark plugs, and do a basic tune up, is just terrible advice.

How does it run now? What kind of mileage is it getting? If you are satisfied with the way it runs, do some maintenance and don't immediately screw with major components. If you aren't satisfied with how it runs, figure out what is wrong with it.

Make it more dependable. Fluids, hoses, belts and battery cables unless they look really good. Tuneup with better Ford parts (team rush). http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...nitive-669495/

Get it running as good as you can, then decide whether you need to throw hundreds of dollars worth of parts at it to make it run better.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks to be a 2.5" spring. And 1" shackle.

33's will look good. As for wheels it's all personal preference I ran. Alloys off a tj. Then black steelies now I'm on black alloys with a polished ring on mine
image-1101998982.jpg

Unread 06-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

FIRST OFF I for one am pretty sure hes not a noob and doing the regular basic maintenance is a given....

Second the nutter and carb upgrade does make it more reliable if you have read any post ever submitted.

Third dont think that little bit of money is going to be an issue ... Do you not know what 1A Auto is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
What I've written below assumes the OP isn't made of money.

Why are you all recommending replacing major expensive parts before you figure out if they aren't working yet? Telling someone to replace the carb, replace the distributor, and bypass the computer (Nutter bypass) before they change the oil, look at the spark plugs, and do a basic tune up, is just terrible advice.

How does it run now? What kind of mileage is it getting? If you are satisfied with the way it runs, do some maintenance and don't immediately screw with major components. If you aren't satisfied with how it runs, figure out what is wrong with it.

Make it more dependable. Fluids, hoses, belts and battery cables unless they look really good. Tuneup with better Ford parts (team rush). http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...nitive-669495/

Get it running as good as you can, then decide whether you need to throw hundreds of dollars worth of parts at it to make it run better.
Unread 06-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome Tony
Unread 06-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good looking jeep! A couple ways to go as I see it. You have a really nice stock jeep, leave it somewhat stock with some larger tires though you'll probably have to adjust the stops or add spacers if you keep the gambler wheels.
Or use your sources to make a really trail worthy jeep from the ground up. Since you already have a jeep, I'd be tempted to keep this one somewhat stock.
Welcome to the YJ family
Unread 06-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great looking jeep.....as far as what you should do to it, do what I do....use it as is for a month or two. Make sure you don't have to put any money into getting it to run the way it should, and if it does have some mechanical issue, fix it. Ask here, or if you have to, take it to a shop. Forget the tires, the wheels, the fog lights, fender flares, winch bumper, and all eye candy for now. Remember, if it sits in your driveway, looks better then any jeep ever made, but don't run, its nothing more then a very expensive birdbath or planter. What good is that? Use it, make sure its up to par, THEN and ONLY THEN, think about the wheels, tires fender flares, and other stuff.......Good luck with it.. .it really is nice......
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
Bigmaaty
1979 CJ7 

That thing looks really clean! Enjoy it for now, take the top off and run the heck out of it. You'll figure out which way to go.
Bigmaaty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmaaty View Post
That thing looks really clean! Enjoy it for now, take the top off and run the heck out of it. You'll figure out which way to go.
This-- take the top off and enjoy summer. winter is a great time for mods. Welcome!
jjs89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #12
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ATony
So I bought this YJ yesterday that has lived it's whole life in Virginia. The tub is ridiculous clean on the thing. It has a 3" lift (not sure what kind), trying to figure out what type of wheels would look good on it, and also a tire size that would fit with the lift that's on it. What do you guys think.
I think that's a nice jeep!
I also think that decent, clean YJs are above my purchase ceiling. Probably worth it but I would never drive that in the winter here in New England unless all you are viewing that as is a clean winter sacrificial vehicle; and that would be a shame!
Unread 06-02-2015, 06:50 AM   #13
Cherokid
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would what I call "baseline" it. Wash and wax (cos we have maybe the one vehicle that looks good dirty and clean!) Give it a thorough once over/servicing. Check... pretty much everything. Fluids, tune up, go over the vac lines (verify the vac switch on the front axle is working), check brake pads and fluids, any leaks, lube the suspension/steering (I'd pull the track bars and front sway bars but that's a personal choice. I found my rear track bar was ripping the bracket off the frame so I tossed it and the front was close behind it. I don't go fast in my jeep ever so the sway bar was next. I have disco's but don't use 'em anymore. Ride and flex is way better.) Clean any electrical connections, ground the engine to the frame to the body. I'm sure I'm missing lots but you get the idea. I'd then decide what exactly I'm going to use it for and draw up a list/budget/timetable (to keep things moving... nothing like a deadline to light a fire.) Check things off to show progress. I'd include in that list trails to hit places to go in it. Nothing like going places ordinary vehicles can't get to.

Bottom line is... enjoy it the way you see fit. And post up progress!

P.S. Pics are my son, two nieces and I in the Sierras. One niece is from Puerto Rico and when she got home the first thing she told her mom... "I'm getting a Wrangler!"
dscf1667.jpg   dscf1645.jpg  
Cherokid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #14
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Well.... I live in NH I'm a huge Jeep guy always have been, built that ZJ that's in my sig, with a 3.5 RE lift. This Jeep's only going to be a summer vehicle, the frame and tub are almost perfect on the thing. I drove it home last and have an issue with it stalling when I get on the brakes.

It's an 89 with the 4.2. It idles nice and smooth at 1,000 RPMs in the driveway. The brakes are hard as a rock on it; when I go down the road and get on the brakes it kills the engine coming to a stop. I'm thinking that the brake booster might be bad in it.

What do you guys think.

T

Facebook|YouTube|#1AAUTO ON INSTAGRAM
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #15
Acidhouse
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man, I love those blue Islanders. That one looks incredible. Enjoy it.
Red Jeep #231
Acidhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.