Both rear turn signals coming on. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Both rear turn signals coming on.

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Both rear turn signals coming on.

Ok I have been fighting this for a few weeks now. When I turn on a turn signal, it works just right in the front. But both lights blink in the rear. Same thing if I turn on the other one. So I pulled the switch out and tore it all the way down to see if I could find a short in it, but it was fine as far as I could tell. So I went and got one at the junkyard today. Plugged it in and it does the same thing. Both rear lights blink.
I took a test light to the wires and back probed them.
On the C104 connector I am getting power on K all the time. I know its the emergency flasher line. I get power on G all the time, but have not found that in the FSM yet. Must have something to do with something else. H&M are the left side flashers front to back respectfully. And J&N for the right side front then back.
When I push the switch one way or the other Both M&N always flash while H&J only flash if they are supposed to.
I feel like it should be something in the switch, But I just can't believe that I have 2 with the very same problem. The one I started with was working well in the garage a few weeks ago. I had it out for a run a while back and put on the Eme. flashers to see if all the lights were working and the next day I see that both rear lights always flash. I back probed with the key off and with the key on but no signal turned on. and did not see where there is any back feed power that I can see.
One thing I just noticed that I had not mentioned is that the P wire for the brake switch is always flashing also. I don't know why. I don't think I have a problem with brake lights. But I have not been out of the driveway for a few weeks not. Need to get the steering wheel back on someday soon while I still remember how it goes together.

ad-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Realize that this is the YJ forum and not the XJ. I will hazard a guess though that you have a wrong lamp or lamps installed in the rear. These should be two filament rather than the single. If a single is installed in lieu of a dual, this will short the two contacts in the base together and cause the issue you are seeing. Check both rear lamps and verify that there are two contacts on the base rather than a single one in the center. I forget the proper p/n's for these lamps at the moment, but my description should suffice if this is the issue.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't have the exact same issues, but something similar. Problems with the tail lights not working when they should and working when they shouldn't....after a lot of headaches it turned out to be the wrong bulb or cheap quality. I think I've seen other posts saying the same thing. Maybe worth a quick check
mylogylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I believe ad-man is in a two Jeep household. XJ and YJ. I've seen him post over here before.

As indicated above, check your bulbs. Make sure you have dual filament bulbs in there. Did the lights work before and this is a new occurrence? Did something change about the vehicle that will point you in a direction?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
I believe ad-man is in a two Jeep household. XJ and YJ. I've seen him post over here before.

As indicated above, check your bulbs. Make sure you have dual filament bulbs in there. Did the lights work before and this is a new occurrence? Did something change about the vehicle that will point you in a direction?
Good to know.... I checked his profile looking for such evidence but only found he is 93 years old and still swinging wrenches on a Jeep. Awesome
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

THAT would make some sense. They way every other problem I have had with this unit. It seems the PO did a lot of poorboy stuff to this jeep. I will check it when I get home. Pretty sure this might be it. I will let you know.
And just to clarify, this problem is on my 87 wrangler.
I have had plenty of other issues with my 89 Cherokee also. But its going to the shop tonight for its latest issue.
Thanks for all the help here!
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well I just checked and changed bulbs in both sides. No change, Still have both of them flashing whether or not I signal right or left. The bulbs were the 2 filament type, Thought I would change them just in case.
I did have them working right when I got the jeep, but for some reason they don't now. I was blowing fuses before, but pulled the whole harness out of the dash on another issue. Did find a worn spot on that hot wire and fixed it. So I am not popping fuses now. And this issue did not show up at that time either. It was later.
I just do not understand how it is getting power out of the switch. On the old one that was in the steering column, I tore it apart completely, just to see if there was any physical reason that power would be fed to both side. I can not find any. I put it back together and tried it again to see if something would have fallen out that I did not see. But it still does it.
It has to be something with the switch......I am getting a flashing test light at 5 points on the connector from this swich, when I think I should be only getting 3. I am not sure why the "P" wire is flashing. FSM says that that goes to the brake light switch. Why would that one be flashing.
So Que, let me run this past you.
The switch is working right, but something in the brake switch is sticking. I dont have brake lights on when I am testing this. So power is fed from the switch, to the 2 wires that are needed,,,,,,,,,Then some how power is going from the switch to the brake switch and then out to the other brake light and flashing like the other one because it is coming out of the flasher before the switch. That power is being fed back up the wire to the turn switch??? Does that make any sense.
Think I just thought of a way to check this.
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

try this... remove both rear lamps and clean the mounts... they are grounded through the tub

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

OK I just went and pulled the C104 connection for this turn signal switch apart. Then I ran a jumper from the "L" & "N" points. L for the power from the flasher and N for the right rear light. Both lights blink in the rear. ( I didn't even check the front, didn't think about it) Plus I am getting a flashing test light on the "M" point in the harness side of the connection for the left rear light. So something outside of the switch is sending power to this.
How do I test a brake switch??
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

If they are lighting up Mark, I know they are grounded. Thanks.
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok I know they are grounded too. I believe you MAY be backfeeding through the grounds. Ill keep my comments to myself when I see your name from now on

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well I pulled the brake switch, a 2 wire connection and got no change in the turn signals and nothing flashing on the 2 wires.
Think I need to sit back and stew on it for a little while.
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Mark, I did not mean it that way. I said thank you, I am sorry if you felt that that was some sort of a slight. I did not mean anything other than "Thank you"
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

What page on the FSM are you getting your wiring information from? You've more than got my interest peaked. I'd like to dig into this, virtually, with you and try to figure out what the heck is going on.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK, so let me wind this back a bit and see if I can wrap my head around it.

The turn signals WERE working fine. You were under the dash addressing other issues (surprise surprise - under dash issues ). After that, when you activate the turn signals, the front signals operate properly, but both back lamps illuminate regardless of which turn signal is activated. Do I have that correct?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.