Are both hard-mounted idler pulleys on a 4.0L the same size / part # ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Are both hard-mounted idler pulleys on a 4.0L the same size / part # ?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Change-out of both serpentine idler pulleys on 4.0L with pics and some details

Edit: See down a few posts for what I found, and for some details about the idler pulleys on the 4.0L

I was thinking of buying two new pulleys for my 4.0 since it has 182000 miles on it.

They look to be the same size. Are they?

Is there a higher quality idler pulley I should go for?

I can't imagine that the bearings will last much longer, so before I get stuck I'm guessing it would be better to replace them. Also, one has some pretty incredible wear and pittting on its surface.

Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, I believe they are the same. On the lower pulley, you have to hold back on the nut. It's hidden.
chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
Yes, I believe they are the same. On the lower pulley, you have to hold back on the nut. It's hidden.
Ooh, good info - thanks!
Unread 03-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just ordered two of them to replace my worn pulleys.
Unread 03-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alrighty then - mission update! The reason I'm changing the pulleys is nothing more than preventative maintenance. I figured that bearings with 183000 miles on them can't be dependable much longer, and the pitting on the pulley surfaces makes me feel like they will wear down my new serpentine belt prematurely.

First and foremost, you guys may get a kick out of this (well, at least those of you who can spell). Unboxed my two inexpensive pulleys that I ordered off of Amazon.com.

Said wow ... screw it - I'm making breakfast first.

Bacon, Chicken, mushroom, tri-pepper, onion, cheddar cheese quesadilla (later topped with three eggs over easy, and some Red Hot sauce)

Okay, back to the task at hand.
Unread 03-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Continued:

Let's take a close look at the pitting and wear of the pulley surfaces:

Here's something that I only learned after the job was all done and cleaned up ... someone seems to have made the mistake of replacing only one pulley. Maybe they thought it only had one idler pulley when they went to the parts store, or maybe that pulley went bad?

In playing around with them, I was at my spending the time and money - the older looking of the two has a bearing that is catchy / crunchy to turn! It was going bad and I didn't even know it!

OK, here is one other picture I edited since somewhere in my multi-forum search I came across someone asking about if they had to use a spacer, or what order they went in, or some such question. I can understand how a guy (or gal) might drop the parts when pulling them out, or pull the bolt first and having everything drop. I was lucky and paid attention to the order it all came out. Despite having new spacers that came with my 'Chian' pulleys, the old spacers covered the front of the bearings better, and seemed to fit just a hair tighter into the inner-sleeve of the bearing - so I re-used all the parts from the old pulley's bolt attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
Chuck, thank you so much for this tidbit of info. It really helped cut the confusion.

My decision was to take off the negative battery terminal, then unbolt the alternator to get it out of the way. I didn't fully detach the alternator - I left all the wires connected - but this gave me ample room to see the nut you told me I'd have to address, and room enough to move a ratchet on that nut (which turned out to be somewhat easier than relying on the ratchet that was on the bolt head).
Unread 03-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Correction on that image - I shouldn't call the spacer a washer for fear that someone will use it as a washer for the nut.

Corrected image:

Unread 03-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are there aftermarket options (good ones) for the other pulleys besides the power steering pump aluminum ones? I have one more - maybe it's the water pump - that is pitted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.