Bosch injector swap issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bosch injector swap issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
95YJPaidtowheel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bosch injector swap issues

Hello All,
First time post, but long time reader of the forum. I know there are numerous threads and post regarding the bosch injector swap. But none that I have saw concerning any issues after installation. On my 95 Wrangler 2.5l I had an injector develop a leak. So with 170k miles on the oem injectors i decided to replace all four with fiveomotorsports bosch gen 3 injectors that are for the 2.5l engine. Before the swap on a cold start the Jeep would go to high idle for a minute or so and than return to normal idle rpm's. I would have a blip once in awhile during idle and a little hesitation during acceleration nothing real serious. After the swap, it sounds like it goes to a higher idle and returns to normal rpms but it idles a little higher and is much smoother. However, during acceleration with the pedal to the floor it seems to hesitate above 2500 to 3000 rpms and when shifting from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th after a flat out run it will backfire. Over the past couple of years I've replaced fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap,rotor,coil and air filter. I have disconnected the battery to try a second reset of the ecm and it has been 3 days with the same problem. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

95YJPaidtowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't done a ford injector swap, but I have R/R injectors... remove and inspect them to make sure the injector housings aren't cracked anywhere.

Also, check the o-rings... if you're not SUPER careful on installation, sometimes they can get pinched, kinked or even torn.

aside from those 2 possibilities, maybe someone else can help shed a brighter light on the subject

good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well... the ford injectors MAY flow .1 less fuel than stock injectors, depends on the actual CC rating (i've seen some with different ratings) and how they ramp up compared to stockers, but the 4 holes is supposed to help atomize the fuel better. When throttle is to the mat, your computer is using set parameters not O2 sensor input. So that could be an issue. You could use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to play with this.

Random stuff to throw out there include CAT beginning to plug up, plugs need inspection, double check the gap.
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I use Bosch injectors from a Saab, they r the same as the ford 5.0 injectors and they work great no issues. I've gained mayb 2-3 mph due to the fuel bein used more efficiently and have better throttle response. Unless u have a leaking injector I think ur problem might be elsewhere and now it's exaggerating it. Is ur check engine light on, is ur PCM throwing ne codes or have u checked? Only thing I can think could b a leaky injector but ud see and smelll it. Check to make sure no gas is leaking around me of the o rings or pull them out and reseat them. Check the injector farthest back toward the firewall this one wouldn't seat right on mine and took a couple tries. I cover the o rings in Vaseline first, makes for a nice easy slid/stick into place. Whatever it is good luck, let us no if u come up w nething...
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
95YJPaidtowheel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm, well i have been checking the new injectors periodically and do not see any signs of a gas leak. When the old injector (the one at the firewall) started leaking it smelled like if you lit a match in the jeep you'd end up a couple states away. I have smelled no gas fumes anywhere on the jeep. The check engine light does work and besides coming on when you turn the key to start it, it stays off. The bosch injectors came with some kind of o-ring grease to apply during installation, which I did liberally and they seem to fit in fine. I will start by reseating them,give them a good once over and than go from there.
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

just for S&G's, pull your intake tube off and cycle the gas pedal with the Jeep OFF. See if when you mash the gas if it's opening the TB butterfly all the way, and see if it looks nasty as hell and maybe needs cleaned with some electric parts cleaner.
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
95YJPaidtowheel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update...so I took the injectors back out. they look good, no leaks or dirt and seem to seat just fine. I did pull the intake and took a look at the throttle body. It seemed fairly clean but I pulled it anyway and cleaned it out. I took some photos, first two are of the dirty TB, third photo is after cleaning. I also pulled the plugs and checked them out. I put these autolite platinums in about 2 years ago, the photo is of the worst looking one. Put everything back together and still have the hesitation around 2500 to 3000 rpms with a backfire. I've had this jeep going on 5 years and it has the same cat on it from when i bought it. No idea when it has been replaced last. So...next thing I'm going to try is replacing the cat and muffler and see if that is what is the cause. Will post back with an update.
forum1.jpg   forum2.jpg   forum3.jpg   forum4.jpg  
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Let me ask a question?? I dont know since I havent changed injectors on the wrangler before? How difficult is it? Why not swap in the old injectors and see if the problem goes away? That way you can know if its actually the injectors that are the problem. It could be possible to have a defective injector, unlikely but possible. I would try that or buy some stock injectors and try them out before you go about swapping other parts and trying to find the problem by trial and error.
Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
Moondog21_2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Have you replaced the throttle positioning sensor or the crankshaft positioning sensor? Before my 4.0 swap the sensors both went out one then the other. I was having the same exact issue.
Moondog21_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog21_2
Have you replaced the throttle positioning sensor or the crankshaft positioning sensor? Before my 4.0 swap the sensors both went out one then the other. I was having the same exact issue.
I was thinking TPS to. Nice thing is you can get them at the junkyard, off of 4.0 5.2 and 5.9. Alot of the motors have the same one!
Fuddmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would get a meter and do some measurements. Check the TPS and O2 sensors and the MAT sensor. Did you do the battery disconnect to reset the ecu calibration after the swap?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
95YJPaidtowheel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

*UPDATE* Hello all, sorry for the delay in posting an update to this thread. Had some health issues, a.k.a kidney stone and it was not a pleasant experience. So after my last post i did replace the cat, muffler (now a flow through) and low and behold the manifold gasket was blown out so i replaced that as well. After replacing the exhaust parts it seemed to be better but there was still noticeable hesitation above 3k rpms with throttle pressed to the floor. I had also done a fuel pressure check with just pump primed and was just shy of 32. SO i went back to FiveO Motorsports where i had bought the injectors from. After a few emails and some angry phone calls a guy at FiveO Motorsports tells me that the Bosch Gen 3 injectors will not work on my 95 wrangler or any wrangler built before 95. That the 97 and newer Wranglers have an ECM that will work with the higher flow rate of the bosch gen 3's.......but not the 95 or older. Now, when I initially went to their website and looked up injectors for a 1995 Jeep Wrangler with 2.5l the stock injectors Lucas part number 01D062B AND the Bosch Gen 3 part number 0280156013 came up as replacements for my Jeep. The guy says, sorry our mistake and they have since pulled the Bosch injectors as an option for the 95 Jeep Wrangler. They still have the injectors i ordered on the website but the just don't come up as a search for the 95 Wrangler. http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/jeep-...3-generation-3. So they sent me a set of the Lucas 01D062Bs put those in,and all is well with the world...the jeep is happy.
jeep-forum-swatara.jpg  

Last edited by 95YJPaidtowheel; 04-01-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

WooHoo! Happy ending!
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.