Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Borgeson vs crown lower steering shaft

4K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  ionakana 
#1 ·
Been chasing loose steering forever. All ends, balljoints etc are practically new. Installed remaned Durango box a few years back and lower steering shaft/upper bearings as well. Nothing has helped.

So I was out looking at it today and noticed it's time to replace the lower steering shaft again. Looking online I see the standard $95 crown stock type shaft and then see a Borgeson shaft. It's 2.5 times the price but you can tell it's a better shaft all the way around.

https://www.polyperformance.com/borgeson-87-95-jeep-yj-steering-shaft

Has anyone run the Borgeson? Is it worth the money or will the Crown stock version I seem to replace every few years enough for the YJ? It says it's designed for oversized tires and will firm up the steering. I not expecting it to drive like stock but just want to lose the white knuckle driving!

#2 ·
The general consensus I've seen is the Omix/Crown one is fine for most needs. If you go with the Borgeson you'll have to drill your steering shaft to key it. When I researched this same question here a few months ago, I ended up with the Omix one. All I did was add a boot from a Bronco to the slip-joint on the shaft so it wouldn't get rusted up like it normally does (this: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Collapsible_Steering_Shaft_Boot/Bronco_Steering_Shafts ). I have no idea if it will work or not, but it doesn't hurt anything.

I guess I'm surprised that you are replacing them every few years. To me that sounds like either your last one was defective, or something else is wrong. I would expect it to either get notchy from the u-joints breaking down, or after 10-15 years, the rubber vibration damper in the top would deteriorate. Can you identify what's wrong with it?

#4 ·
I have the same steering. I went with the stock replacement shaft after the first one lasted over 170,000 miles, the last half of those miles with large tires and off-road abuse. I just this month did have to replace the 5 year old Durango box, which was bought rebuilt from an auto parts store. The 5 year old shaft is still fine though.

#7 ·
I'm on my 2nd Durango box. I read a few threads where people said they had bad remaned ones right out of the box. I did the swap back in 06 with a remaned Cardone unit, then swapped again in 11 with another remaned unit under lifetime warranty. It's a cardone unit, couldn't find a different brand. I do know when I replaced my brake booster the first Cardone unit was junk and had to exchange it. If there was someone around who rebuilt the units I would be temped to send it off to them but replacing the steering gear didn't change anything so I don't think that's the problem.

#8 ·
I agree that I don't find the crown/omix stuff to be at the same quality as OEM, but the OEM steering shafts lasted 20 years, so I at least expect 10 out of the aftermarket ones.

What is most of your driving, off-road or on-road?

#11 ·
So I replaced the steering shaft today with the stock version. The steering still has play or so I thought. I had my wife start the Jeep and turn the steering wheel back and forth. There is no slop at all, what I thought was slop/play is actually the entire Jeep moving a little bit before the wheels actually turn. Does that make sense? I can't get the video to post. I assume the steering box isn't strong enough at to turn the wheels and the Jeep/frame shifts a little. How do I fix this? Hydro assist?

#17 ·
yep, nothing changed, it's the same white knuckle steering I've grown to love! :grin2:

The no track bar makes sense, doing something with the steering is on the "to do" list one day, bigger issues to worry about now. I'm going to ditch the Rocky Road hi-steer system and do something else.

#21 ·
I've got the borgeson heavy duty steering shaft, I think it did help but my jeep is still terrifying to drive on the highway lol... I'm trying to get my old pitman arm off (seemingly impossible atm) to put a drop pitman arm on since I have 3 3/4" of lift, do u guys think that will help?

#22 ·
Psyclops said:
I've got the borgeson heavy duty steering shaft, I think it did help but my jeep is still terrifying to drive on the highway lol... I'm trying to get my old pitman arm off (seemingly impossible atm) to put a drop pitman arm on since I have 3 3/4" of lift, do u guys think that will help?
u should probably start your own thread but if you are replacing the pitman arm I'd suggest that you slice it with a grinder and 1-16" cutoff wheel and drive a cold chisel to split it and it will probably come right off. But here's a question you should answer when you make a new thread: is your tie rod on the bottom of the mount points or over the top? Because that corrects like 1-1/4" center to center by raising the tie rod and thereby decreasing the drag link angle...

#27 ·
Everything points to no problem. You said the alignment is ok, parts are ok (good ball joints, rod ends, gearbox), springs are flat and shackles are short (arched springs or longer shackles can make steering feel looser). If the current linkage is solid, it won't make steering bad on the highway. I wouldn't spend money until I knew exactly what the issue is. Of course there is also the possibility you're just asking for too much stability from a highly modified Jeep. Bad to you could be fine to others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.