Boomerang shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Boomerang shackles

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
jonny93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Boomerang shackles

Getting ready to install my new springs but not sure about shackles?

image-1657256182.jpg

Short side up?

image-93537446.jpg

Or long side up?

jonny93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I run mine long up in rear, short up in front but pointing in, not out like you are holding them.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

long up in back, long down in front. pointing to center of jeep on both ends.

like this

><
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Damn. I know I should be complementing the Jeep(it is very nice) but I'm stuck on how good the pictures are. Both are very nice.
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
jonny93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got it. Thanks for the help guys! I started throwing stuff on this month, SYE, D/S, OME springs and of course my shackles. Pretty psyched to feel the diiference when it's all done. I used 36r's front and rear and was wondering if how other folks have corrected this little problem.

image-3127075904.jpg

It seems fine on jack stands but under load I'm thinkin this will be an issue. Am I wrong? Can I just cut the tabs down? I don't know why they'd be there unless it's so you can add a leaf, dunno.
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Those tabs give your springs room to flex while the top bolt keeps them from coming apart. It's part of the reason they ride so nice compared to leafs that are pinched together with a clamp, don't mess with the springs you got good ones. If you haven't put the shackle's on those should give you some more room.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you have something wrong with your axle and steering components, it should fit just fine. I have 36R's on all four with 5/8" lift shackles and for the front axle the only thing I did to the springs was remove the shim. You can loosen and twist the drag link bolt/clamp into a better position for more clearance if desired.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
muddigger95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not to jump your thread, but how do you know what length you need to keep your current ride height? Is it from center to center of bolts holes? Just donno .
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #10
jonny93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon
Unless you have something wrong with your axle and steering components, it should fit just fine. I have 36R's on all four with 5/8" lift shackles and for the front axle the only thing I did to the springs was remove the shim. You can loosen and twist the drag link bolt/clamp into a better position for more clearance if desired.
This is what I was going to look into once everything is on and on the ground. Thanks again for all the input. As far as telling length for height I'm not sure.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.