Bogging out in 4 high - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bogging out in 4 high

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 08-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
calebrandal
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bogging out in 4 high

Every time I try to use 4 high to climb even the smallest grade the engine boggs down and stalls. It doesn't do it in 4 low. Could it be a vacumn leak. I no longer have the vacumn actuated set up. Maybe the PO forgot to plug something? Any Ideas??

calebrandal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
srdart67
2002 WJ 

I would start with checking for vaccuum leaks and if nothing check your transfer case linkage to make sure you are going all the way into gear.
Unread 08-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What speed and RPM are you hitting the bottom of the hill?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does it do the same in 2wd?

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

maybe it just needs gears and it cant climb the hill in 4th..... vacuum leak would give ya grief all the time I would think.....

since the tire upgrade 4th and 5th are nonusable in mine pretty much till I get gears

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
calebrandal
1991 YJ Wrangler 

does not stall in 2wd
Unread 08-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
calebrandal
1991 YJ Wrangler 

usually pretty slow
Unread 08-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Might be something up with your vacuum disconnect system if it doesn't stall in 2wd. I'd say go through all of your vacuum connections going to the t-case, the vacuum switch on the t-case, and then the lines running to the shift motor. Either that or plug up the manifold vacuum that operates these and get a posi-lock system.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Might be something up with your vacuum disconnect system if it doesn't stall in 2wd. I'd say go through all of your vacuum connections going to the t-case, the vacuum switch on the t-case, and then the lines running to the shift motor. Either that or plug up the manifold vacuum that operates these and get a posi-lock system.
he dont have a vacuum system anymore..... Im guessing he has a posi...

im gonna go with it dont have enough power to turn the 4 tires in high range.... if its the vacuum it will do it all the time low range or high, you have a posi kit??... pull cable style?

off road, mine is LOW RANGE only, it wont turn my 33 in 2nd gear off raod let alone 4th.....

nothing really to unhook vacuum wise that would make your jeep run bad..... you need gears is my thinking, as it runs down the RPM, it will start to buck and stall out.......

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
Alext13

Not enough power in 4 high, to much strain on the drivetrain. Time to buy gears
Alext13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Whats the condition of your motor? With the 3:07's and 31" tires you should have power to wheel... Now me personally I don't use 4H for anything but on winter/snow covered roads. When I'm, off road it's 4L and I have 4:88 gears! If your're talking steep hill climbs or deep mud then you should use 4L. Just my opinion though
1995 4.0l, 5spd., 4:88's, ARB's F/R, 4"RC lift, homebrew bumpers & tire carrier, homebrew gas tank skid, lined inside, Cobra cb, smitty winch, 130w & 55w Hella lights

Envy our past, Fear our future Go Cats!

Take a look at our club
www.torcoffroad.com & here on JF
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f163/brand-new-ky-offroad-club-678937/
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
calebrandal
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
he dont have a vacuum system anymore..... Im guessing he has a posi...

im gonna go with it dont have enough power to turn the 4 tires in high range.... if its the vacuum it will do it all the time low range or high, you have a posi kit??... pull cable style?

off road, mine is LOW RANGE only, it wont turn my 33 in 2nd gear off raod let alone 4th.....

nothing really to unhook vacuum wise that would make your jeep run bad..... you need gears is my thinking, as it runs down the RPM, it will start to buck and stall out.......
Yes, have posi-lock.
guess I'l check for vacuum leaks and use low. never had any problem in my S10 with 3.73's and 31's
Unread 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
USMC3531
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe I''m missing something but the 4 high has nothing to do with gear advantage, it's the same as 2 high, same gearing, just 4 wheel drive. You just need to downshift into a lower gear in high if the hill isn't too steep, or into 4 low for steeper hills. That will give you the gear torque multiplication to keep the motor from bogging.

I think your jeep has 4.10's stock, my 90 does. My little 2.5 with 31's will climb a wall in 4 low with no bogging.

Posi-lock has nothing to do with it, that just locks the halves of the front axles together, giving you 4 wheel drive. And even if your posi-lock wasn't working, that would just make your rear wheels spin, not bog the motor.
USMC3531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
calebrandal
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
Maybe I''m missing something but the 4 high has nothing to do with gear advantage, it's the same as 2 high, same gearing, just 4 wheel drive. You just need to downshift into a lower gear in high if the hill isn't too steep, or into 4 low for steeper hills. That will give you the gear torque multiplication to keep the motor from bogging.

I think your jeep has 4.10's stock, my 90 does. My little 2.5 with 31's will climb a wall in 4 low with no bogging.

Posi-lock has nothing to do with it, that just locks the halves of the front axles together, giving you 4 wheel drive. And even if your posi-lock wasn't working, that would just make your rear wheels spin, not bog the motor.
it bogs out in 1st gear and 4 high.
not for certain, but you have 410 gears because you have a 2.5
Unread 08-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
USMC3531
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hm, I was missing something.... 1st gear in 4 high range is a different story, although my jeep starts bucking in that gear if the speed gets too low and I try to nurse it along with the clutch. It would die if I kept on in high range. Shifting into 4 low range lets me crawl along without the bucking. Yeah, 4.10's are stock with my 2.5.
USMC3531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.