Bogging down - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bogging down

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 09-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #76
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I knew i would have to paint it...just with it being 3M and it being in a spay can , so easy to use....think I will try to find it before put my tank back up. I just want to convert what rust is left after i try to brush/grind it out so that i can paint it and then forget about it. It bedtime here in Tennessee...Check back in tomorrow evening. I have been taking picks of this and my lift kit and other repairs i have made....I might go all crazy and start a build thread one day soon.

lander2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #77
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you get a chance can you take a pic of the sending unit and the tank? We have had discussions and a pic would be good for the next person. Also, dont forget to redo the fuel pressure before you put the tank back up. Connect everything up while it is on the ground and just use a gallon of fuel to see that you dont have any leaks and the pressure is good.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #78
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

More food for thought:

-While you have the tank out, make sure the return line isn't pinched between tub and rear crossmember above the diff.

-If you havn't already, you can increase your gas tank size from 15 gallons (stock), to 20 Gallons, by removing the plastic sleeve on the inside of the filler neck. Grab some pliers, pull out the tube, and you instantly have a 20 gallon tank.

-I would remove that white cup in the bottom of the tank like Que said. You will not damage the tank by removing this. Just reach in and pull. The reason Que and myself recomend you remove this cup is because it indeed will eventually interfere with your fuel sending unit arm. My gas gauge would only drop to 1/4 tank, and no further, until empty. The gasoline warps the cup and prevents the float from falling to "E" on the gauge. I take hard corners, turns, and ride on steep inclines all the time, I have never had an issue with the heep losing fuel in a turn...
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #79
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK so I have tried to post pics and was told too large. I emailed them to myself where they were resized and still too big. I don't do a lot of internet or computer stuff but if you can tell me how I will post the pics your asking for.

George Orwell
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #80
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am in the process of grinding out the rust I found...also the return line was tight mainly cause the body mounts are crap. Ordering a whole new 1inch body lift with mounting hardware tomorrow. No time like the present.

George Orwell
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #81
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander2312 View Post
OK so I have tried to post pics and was told too large. I emailed them to myself where they were resized and still too big. I don't do a lot of internet or computer stuff but if you can tell me how I will post the pics your asking for.
Posting Images to your Thread??? see sig below
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #82
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK will read it later tonight....on my phone in the garage so it doesn't show sings and the search function makes my phone freeze.

George Orwell
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #83
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am in the process of grinding out the rust I found...also the return line was tight mainly cause the body mounts are crap. Ordering a whole new 1inch body lift with mounting hardware tomorrow. No time like the present.
If it is hard to move that return line by hand, it is pinched. You can detatch the return line from where the sending and return lines turn from rubber into metal near the fuel filter. Unhook the return line from the metal line, and pull it through the crossmember.

You can buy a new 2' section of fuel rated hose at Advance or Autozone. It is important that the return line not be crushed when you put it all back together.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #84
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

X2
The body mounts wear and allow the body to push on the return line causing high pressure. The high pressure causes the pump and the pressure regulator to go. That is why it's important to check the pressure before putting the tank back up and after.
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #85
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys ...Sorry I am not able to move fast on this but with kids and work its really hard to find time to commit to fixing this till the coming up weekend hopefully. I did however take your advice and remove the plastic white cup in the bottom of the tank....when the first rivet snapped i paused and said to myself....i sure hope these guys know what they are talking about. Then i thought oh well too late now and ripped the rest out. Vacuumed out the tank and its ready to go. Waiting for the body mounts to come in and install them. I have most of the rust ground down and ready to hit it with the 3M rust converter. My local parts place sells it for 12bucks and they say it works great. I appreciate all of your input. I do have pics of the tank and sending unit as requested. I just read the thread on how to post pics and will try to get the account set up tonight.
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #86
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Don't forget to check the pressure while it's on the ground. You can same yourself a lot of aggravation further into the swap.
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #87
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah def will do that thanks. What do you think about the replacement pump i got from auto zone. It is noticeably smaller than the Bosch that was in there but the rep swears it is the right pump for my Jeep
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #88
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah def will do that thanks. What do you think about the replacement pump i got from auto zone. It is noticeably smaller than the Bosch that was in there but the rep swears it is the right pump for my Jeep
I ran one for a year then it just quit. They replaced it for free. I reinstalled it and 2 years later, no issues.

Everyone says Bosch, and they know their stuff. If you have a choice now, I'd go Bosch. The AZ part is hit or miss. One good thing, I'm pretty good at dropping the tank.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #89
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yeah dropping the tank wasnt that bad....and they gave me a one year warranty....i just didnt know if the size difference would matter (you know what they say about bigger... ) I am trying a test pic as we speak.
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #90
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No aretek. X2 with luuca.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.