Bogging down - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bogging down

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #46
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Q will be happy i set up to borrow a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow...or Sunday so i will report back what the readings are.
You guys are great. I wish i knew half of this stuff...but I am learning,,,,,ahhhh and weekend garage mechanics get to drink beer too!

lander2312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #47
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Luuca you can rent the tool you don't even need to buy it. I think the pressure is high too. There have been at least a half dozen in the last couple month's with return line issues because of pinched lines and warped tanks. One guy took out 2 New regulators before I talked him through the pressure test. The symptom sounds like a fuel issue. The engine sounds like it's flooding. The tps is used by the ECU along with the map sensor to figure out injector dwell so I am not ruling it out but it usually fails by giving you a flat spot. The bogging down the way you describe it sounds like you are getting too much fuel.

One other thing for fuel that happens many times is an exhaust manifold leak that causes the o2 sensor to think the jeep is running lean and the ECU with dump fuel to protect the engine. It never usually gets bad enough to cause it to big down to the point of losing power but the difference is very noticeable. Hope the tps does it.
I defer to you on all things. That's not lip service, that's based upon your experience and history solving issues. I think he should check the fuel pressure. It's easier than testing the TPS for damn sure.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #48
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I defer to you on all things. That's not lip service, that's based upon your experience and history solving issues. I think he should check the fuel pressure. It's easier than testing the TPS for damn sure.
Hear Hear.

Thanks for everything through the years Que.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #49
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
We will know hopefully tomorrow.
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #50
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok i have the gauge and about to test the system...going to try and look up where the vacuum line to the pressure regulator is located and what it looks like on the 2.5....I wasnt kidding when i say I am an idiot on this stuff...lol
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #51
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also if it matters i have noticed that when first starting that it isnt firing off and turning over as quick as it use to....takes a few extra second for it to start?
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #52
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK plug I plug in the fuel pressure gauge and it reads nothing.....so i triple check my connection and its good but still reads 0. I try to start the jeep and just like what has started to become more and more difficult it just doesnt want to start. Its turning over fast enough...the starter is good just doesnt want to start. I finally get it to fire up and its running 20psi on the gauge. As soon as I cut it off it drops right back to zero.
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #53
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also its reads about 10psi when i turn the key over before i even attempt to start it....but as soon as the fuel pump stops running it drops back to zero
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #54
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is either s bad tool or tells you your fuel system is real bad.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #55
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would hook your guage up to another car and check out the readings to make sure.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #56
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately I think the gauge is working properly.....I will double check it on another vehicle but lets assume that its the fuel system....so where do i go from here?...it is running around 20-22psi while running but it drops to zero as soon as cut off. Also the hard to start is soo hard after it has run for a few min....i cut it off and waited for a fe w min and it started back easier the second time if that helps any?
Unread 09-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #57
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander2312 View Post
Also its reads about 10psi when i turn the key over before i even attempt to start it....but as soon as the fuel pump stops running it drops back to zero
All of those readings are far too low. New fuel pump. It should run higher than that when the vehicle is running, somewhere around 30 if I remember correctly, and when you turn off the heep, it should NOT drop to zero. This fuel pressure is pretty much guarenteed to be your problem.

You need a new fuel pump.

Make sure your return line isn't crushed between the tub and crossmember in the back. As your body mounts wear down, the tub crushes the return line, causing the pump to burn out. There is a hose going from your tank to your fuel filter then to your fuel rail into the engine. There is a return hose that goes back to the tank with the excess fuel. They go between the crossmember and tub towards the tank when the lines go from metal to rubber.

When my pump went bad it caused the following symptoms:

1. Had to crank forever for it to start.
2. No power what-so-ever, couldn't even burn out. Could "get around" but no power at all.
3. Slugish and stumbling at highway speeds.

Here is my thread on a similar issue:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...nt-get-995300/
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #58
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I def have some body mounts that are rotted out and need replacing. Actually was hoping to replace them with a 1inch body lift and all new hardware in the near future. I will def check for the pinched line. I hear the pump kick in and it sound good and strong.....it might be a pump impeller issue...

George Orwell
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #59
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

All is there any test to run to know which one is bad ( either a leaking injector or bad fuel pump) also my gauge says not to use on flex fuel systems and both my dodge and Toyota are flex fuel so no way to double check the gauge today.

George Orwell
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #60
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander2312 View Post
All is there any test to run to know which one is bad ( either a leaking injector or bad fuel pump) also my gauge says not to use on flex fuel systems and both my dodge and Toyota are flex fuel so no way to double check the gauge today.
The sound of the pump isn't really an indication of performance. I have replaced my pump twice now (on my 3rd pump), the first time it went bad, it sounded normal, the 2nd time, it was way louder than normal.

Anyways. Fuel pressure that low was 100% the fuel pump in my case. I don't like making guarentees, so I won't guarentee you it is the pump in your case, but it sure is where I would put my money... It really isn't very hard to replace, only takes an hour or two if your fuel tank is low (tank is much easier to handle if it isn't full of fuel).

I think you need to replace your pump friend... That fuel pressure is a no-go.

>>HERE<< Is a writeup on fuel pump replacement.

Or click on the link to the right :: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...moval-1167482/

On a seperate note. In order to see if my return line was pinched, when I had the tank dropped and the return line unhooked, I tugged on the return line from both sides of the cross member and sure enough, I couldn't make the return line hose budge, it was pinched between the rear crossmember. Upon removal, it was quite literally crushed in half.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.