Bogging down - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bogging down

Advance Adapters SYE Kits** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i actually have one of those....and didnt think about that. Will try it tomorrow

lander2312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander2312
i actually have one of those....and didnt think about that. Will try it tomorrow
Make sure it's a sealed cam and safe for use in flammable areas, mine is. I always thought they all were. Just be careful, as much as those old Saturday cartoons made explosions look... Your beak won't work right after that.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander2312 View Post
Any way to check that out WITHOUT dropping the tank? Just have heard its a pain to drop it....looks like I have found my project for the weekend.
If you end up pulling the tank, I highly recommend cutting a door into the bed above the fuel tank. I can give you location dimensions if you're interested (It only takes needing it once for you to be sold on the modification).
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Get a pressure guage from the tool loan program at any of the big parts store. If you want to troubleshoot what's going on. You need it to too troubleshoot what is going on. Without it you are just throwing parts and guessing.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
Make sure it's a sealed cam and safe for use in flammable areas, mine is. I always thought they all were. Just be careful, as much as those old Saturday cartoons made explosions look... Your beak won't work right after that.
Yeah I hear ya....I actually have a nice top of the line one from work...they made sure to let me know it was 17,000.00 to purchase so to not break it...lol...it actually articulates and everything...haha
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #21
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Get a pressure guage from the tool loan program at any of the big parts store. If you want to troubleshoot what's going on. You need it to too troubleshoot what is going on. Without it you are just throwing parts and guessing.
Where would I hook this guage up at. Already had a pressure guage hooked up to the rail and it was fine. It doesnt do this all the time...just every now and then so i cant duplicate it when trying to diagnose. It used to do it more when down to a 1/4 tank but the other day it did it right after i filled up.
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #22
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Where would I hook this guage up at. Already had a pressure guage hooked up to the rail and it was fine. It doesnt do this all the time...just every now and then so i cant duplicate it when trying to diagnose. It used to do it more when down to a 1/4 tank but the other day it did it right after i filled up.
It needs to be hooked on the rail.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #23
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What was the pressure? 31 psi running, 39 psi with the vacuum line to the pressure regulator disconnected, and it should hold pressure for 20 minutes above 20 psi. If the pressure is high it makes sense with the symptoms.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #24
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It is not hard to drop the tank. Just have it low on fuel. Easy job.

Sounds to me the like fuel pump. On some Yjs 1/4 tank is close to empty. My Yj it is 1/8 tank and she is crying for fuel. If you let her go low on fuel you may have run the pump hot which will give you trouble as you describe.

Not a good thing to run electric fuel pump low on fuel.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #25
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You know now that you say that....after I bought it a few months later I let it run close to empty to see if the gauge was even close to accurate. So I ran it to close to E and then filled up....it started after that soooo I might have affected the pump.

George Orwell
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #26
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

High pressure at the rail could be caused by a bad Fuel pressure regulator or a pinched return line. We need more specific information about temps when it bogs down and any other situational data you can give.
Try to work with Que (who posted above) and diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #27
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's the problem I have been trying to figure out where the commonalities are and there aren't any. The operating temp doesn't seem to matter. It use to do it more when it was at about a quarter tank but the other day it did it pulling away from filling up at the pump. I have replaced pretty much everything except the inner workings of the tank.

George Orwell
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #28
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's the problem I have been trying to figure out where the commonalities are and there aren't any. The operating temp doesn't seem to matter. It use to do it more when it was at about a quarter tank but the other day it did it pulling away from filling up at the pump. I have replaced pretty much everything except the inner workings of the tank.
May not be fuel related at all. Testing your TPS may be easier than a tank dive.

Unread 09-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #29
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK....so how do I go about testing it and what do I need. I had the fuel rail tested at a mechanic shop.

George Orwell
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK....so how do I go about testing it and what do I need. I had the fuel rail tested at a mechanic shop.
A quick SEARCH of the YJ forums using Keywords Testing TPS yielded this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...issue-1424373/

different symptoms, but a decent description on how to check the TPS.

Further searches may prove more successful, or Que could pop in and save the day. Either way...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.