Bogging down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bogging down

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 09-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bogging down

Ok did a thread search and found some that kinda hit my problem but lots of people never came back and gave a what finally fixed the problem. I have a 1993 with the 2.5l fuel injected engine. When i give it gas to accelerate sometimes it will just struggle to go....bogging down then others its fine. It was only doing this when the gas got below a 1/4 tank, but today it did it right after i filled it up. I have checked my fuel pressure at the rail and its high if anything. I have replaced the 02 sensor and also put a new fuel filter. The Jeep is no longer throwing any codes. Only think I can think of might be something in the tank??? Anybody have this problem. What do i need to look for and check next?

lander2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i cant help. never had the 2.5 and mine is carb'd
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ummmm thanks Superj....I think
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had this problem recently with my yj 4.0. At hwy speeds in hot conditions it will bog down if driven for a long period of time. I would be doing 65mph and suddenly it feels like a hard wind just hit, but it actually my engine losing power like its out of fuel. If I press the petal harder it will about cut off. I checked fuel pressure and its fine. I replaced distributor cap and rotor, but no good. I then moved on to the map sensor and replaced it. I drove it 40 miles yesterday in 93 degree weather at 65 mph and all was good. That may or may not solve it, but it could be anything tps, map, temp sensor near tstat from what I read up on here. You changed out o2, how about the cat converter? I can't pull any codes on mine because my dash check engine light etc doesn't work. I have a 3sp auto. Hope these suggestions help.
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What do you mean it's high off anything. 31/39 what did you read? Did you check the fault codes using the key method? Does it make any difference hot/cold?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A mechanic checked the pressure at the rail for me and said that the pressure was on the high side but within specs....don't have the specific number. Yes I used the key code and it was throwing a O2code and I replaced it. Anyone else?

George Orwell
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a spark issue to me... Engine misses upon acceleration... Possibly fouled plugs or plug wires. Possibly the throttle position sensor.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13 View Post
I had this problem recently with my yj 4.0. At hwy speeds in hot conditions it will bog down if driven for a long period of time. I would be doing 65mph and suddenly it feels like a hard wind just hit, but it actually my engine losing power like its out of fuel. If I press the petal harder it will about cut off.
Mine did this on 2 seperate occasions. 1 when the throttle position sensor went out, and again when my fuel pump went out due to a crushed return line.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227

Mine did this on 2 seperate occasions. 1 when the throttle position sensor went out, and again when my fuel pump went out due to a crushed return line.
Yep. If I pull over and cut the engine off for a minute if that, then start it back up and resume hwy speed it will do fine for sometime. Then it will start acting up again. I did a tune up no change, then replaced MAP sensor. I've been driving it in hot weather on 70 mile round trip commutes now no problem so far. I've been reading up on here that TPS has alot to do with this as well.
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When my TPS went, it was always higher speeds, never residential speeds. Anything over 80kmh. My check engine light never came on. I was on a three hour drive to go camping and it suddenly pulsed if you will. I ignored it thinking it was wind. But then it started doing it every couple of minutes. So I pulled over and unloaded some of our gear into the other truck, thinking that may have been an issue. So we went for another 30mins, then it would do it again. The rpms wouldn't drop enough to show on the tach. And I stopped again. Thought it might have been bad gas. So we went again, and I knew it was something more than gas when we went another 30mins and she did it again. So made it to the site, parked it for 3 days, put in some gas line antifreeze thinking there was water in it. And got about 40mins away from home and the cel came on. Shut off when I pulled in the driveway. Code 24 or 27 I can't remember. Anyway, TPS. Put in a new one and all was good.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have also replaced all spark plugs and all new wires. It just feels like it is not getting fuel...like i might have trash in the tank or that the pump it getting clogged. What is in the internal parts of the tank/fuel pump that might cause it to cause it to bog down from time to time...there is no rhyme or reason...if its hot or cold. I think I am going to break down and drop the tank...unless someone has any ideas on what I can do to diagnose it without dropping the tank.
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's sounding more like a bad pump. If your mechanic checked it with the engine off (or even at idle) it will check out OK, but you won't know if flow is the problem.
If I'm correct (mine acted just like yours about two years ago), the problem will slowly get worse until it stops for good.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Also, inside the tank there is a baffle box (like a tray that the sock filter of the pump picks fuel up from). These things are notorious for breaking (mines been gone for well over a decade). It's possible that a chunk of it could be choking it down, but it's most likely just the pump.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Any way to check that out WITHOUT dropping the tank? Just have heard its a pain to drop it....looks like I have found my project for the weekend.
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander2312
Any way to check that out WITHOUT dropping the tank? Just have heard its a pain to drop it....looks like I have found my project for the weekend.
Inspection camera?
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.