Bogging after driving more than 15-20 miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bogging after driving more than 15-20 miles

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 10-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Major_Newbage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bogging after driving more than 15-20 miles

Sorry I keep starting so many threads without finishing them but im really busy. Anyway the jeep will run great when I take short trips around town, even after it gets up to operating temp. But for some reason, after extended trips (15-20 miles or more) it will bog when I accelerate too quickly, and gradually gets worse until I cannot give it any gas without it bogging. I just replaced my rusted out muffler with a series 40 flowmaster and dumped it out the side. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my problem, but the issue just developed after the replacement. The fact that it happens when I punch it, then returns when I let off the gas leads me to believe it's ignition, and that too much gas has been injected without getting a complete burn. I'm just 16, with parents who know jack about cars, and everything I know I've learned from this forum, or other places on the web, or from my 1/2 year experience w rebuilding my yj, so I'm positive I am on the completely wrong track. Thanks!

YJ Build: Hit tree at 40mph- trashed frame, exploded tcase, etc= FRAME OFF REBUILD! I started off with no experience, 16 yrs old (parents know less than i did),Now just have to drop driveline back in and body on. Everything i learned has come from jeepforum. You guys are amazing. Thanks.
Major_Newbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have heard some have similar symptoms. Sometimes this is the fuel pump. I would check fuel pressure at the rail, especially when it starts bogging. Also, you should check for codes to see if a sensor is showing bad or something like that.
clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Major_Newbage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah im going to pull the codes after school today, hopefully it threw something. How do I go about checking fuel pressure at the rail? I have only the most basic tools lol.
YJ Build: Hit tree at 40mph- trashed frame, exploded tcase, etc= FRAME OFF REBUILD! I started off with no experience, 16 yrs old (parents know less than i did),Now just have to drop driveline back in and body on. Everything i learned has come from jeepforum. You guys are amazing. Thanks.
Major_Newbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can rent a fuel pressure tester at any of the big box stores like autozone, advance auto, o'reileys....

My guess would either be fuel pump, or coil. Pick up a manual while you're at the store and check the procedures to test those.

Any codes?
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

Take a look at your catalytic converter if you have one installed. I've seen them cause this problem in the past on several vehicles. Especially after you just messed with the exhaust sytem. you may have loosened up some materials in the converter causing a blockage as it heats up and expands and/or moves around.
dbabicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tool rental is actually a deposit that you get back when you return the tools/ so don't be afraid about the $$$ when you are "renting" the tools from advanced or one of the other places. You say that it's ok when you start then chances are you do have a problem when it is going open loop to closed loop after it warms up and starts usung the O2 sensor. It could be a couple different things. To see if this is the case disconnect the O2 sensor and it will throw it into the default calibration after it has started acting up. Check the exaust manifold for any cracks especially around the collector tubes and for missing or loose bolts. This will allow more O2 in and throw off the O2 sensor reading.

Also check the fault codes. Read this and don't hate on the "falt code" spelling, it makes it easy to find on a search.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

x2 on your O2 sensor mine was doing the same thing a few months back and it turned out to be the O2 sensor i think its a $15 dollar part and takes 5 min to install it
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.