Body Work, Rusting Seat Pan, Safety, and your thoughts.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Body Work, Rusting Seat Pan, Safety, and your thoughts....

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
UncleFishbits
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Body Work, Rusting Seat Pan, Safety, and your thoughts....

Cheers all! 1995 YJ here. Work done on the mechanical side makes it, basically, a new car in every way. But it is a beach / mountain truck that has gotten some pretty aggressive "free spirited" use (as it should be). Caked in dirt, etc. It's getting old.

Just got new rugged ridge seats, new seatbelts, and I am just starting to repair the interiors (slowly), and thinking of doing some cosmetic body work.

After I installed the seats, I noticed a pretty loud crack/pop sound as I drove, and lo and behold... a dilemma. See pics. There is a crack in the seat well / pan area, and I know it is really unsafe, and means real body work, real quick.

I commute with this thing, all over, at this point. Should I assume this is unsafe to the level that I shouldn't be driving it? I know we aren't safe vehicles, but I would sheer off in an accident, likely?

Also, if I get body work done, and spruce it up a bit more than I had planned - is there anything I can do to make this truck safer?

Any advice or thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks.

I added a few extra photos - the seats are EXCELLENT, but obviously the floor was ready to go upon tightening. Also thought you should see my badass ride. =)

This is sort of depressing, honestly. ha

2013-05-31-11.46.41.jpg   2013-05-31-11.47.18.jpg   2013-05-31-12.23.09.jpg   2013-05-31-12.23.32.jpg   2013-05-31-12.23.44.jpg  

Last edited by UncleFishbits; 05-31-2013 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: pics
UncleFishbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The floor underneath my drivers side is probably 3x as bad as that (It was literally collapsed in for about 2x3")... but I never repaired it. I just saw it as this: The seat belts are really all that help you in an accident, not the seats. Since the seat belts are attached to the floor, independent of the seat, then you should be safe. I would be more concerned if my seatbelt was affected, but since it is not, I just slid a 1/4" thick plate under the seat frame and called it good.
Unread 05-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Mr.ThunderMakeR
1991 YJ Wrangler 

^ Uh no offense, but don't listen to this guy. Seats are a really important safety item. This is actually a pretty common problem. Its a design flaw, the seat mounting points are a high stress area and not properly reinforced. I had this same problem. I just took it to a local off road shop and had them weld in some steel plates. Done for under a $100, less than an hour. See my build thread, post 7:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w.../#post14513817
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR
^ Uh no offense, but don't listen to this guy. Seats are a really important safety item. This is actually a pretty common problem. Its a design flaw, the seat mounting points are a high stress area and not properly reinforced. I had this same problem. I just took it to a local off road shop and had them weld in some steel plates. Done for under a $100, less than an hour. See my build thread, post 7:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w.../#post14513817
Nice thread thanks. I really like the gray interior. I think I might have to copy.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
UncleFishbits
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post

Nice thread thanks. I really like the gray interior. I think I might have to copy.
Cheers, and thank you so much. No offense to other guy, obviously, but I was really worried about the nature of inertia and the seat flying off.... if am buckled in, it could mean possibly decapitating me as belt stays stationary while i am moving i the seat.

I got a crazy quote from a local body shop, they love the Jeep and they're really excited to do some work and paint job for a very affordable price. It is a good hairline fracture to have.... it is making me really restore it. Will post pics of progress.

Thanks!
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Which rugged ridge seats are those? They look very nice and I've been waffling over which seats to get for months....
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
UncleFishbits
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzybear42 View Post
Which rugged ridge seats are those? They look very nice and I've been waffling over which seats to get for months....
I am the ultimate waffler. Took me like 5 years to finally pull the trigger. But I'm glad I did the seats are the most comfortable thing I've sat in, well, for 18 years of this truck. Love 'em.

2 *qty 24230 17 07 * * * * * SUPER SEAT VINYL-SPICE * * * * * * * * *13404.37 * * * * 499.98

http://www.quadratec.com/products/24230_XX_PG.htm

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.