body repair question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > body repair question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

body repair question

Some shots of the rust hole just in front of the Driver Side rear wheel well. The section includes the floor and a small piece of the seatbelt post underneath the seatbelt anchor point.

I've never welded before but I do have a Lincoln Arc 120. Because this section forms a inacessable pocket indside the body there would be no way to paint or otherwise rust proof that area. What would be the best way to do this repair?

I was thinking of welding the floor pan section and the seatbelt post. Painting that area inside and out and then using a fiberglass patch on the outside of the body. Any better ideas? What gauge steel is the body and floor made of?

wp_000056.jpg   wp_000057.jpg   wp_000058.jpg  

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14767780]It goes in that barrel you wheel out to the street once a week.[/QUOTE]

My build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/new-build-thread-867043/[/url]
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

3M makes a great panel bonding adhesive that also seals the new seam against rust. Many bodyshops now use it rather than welding; maybe worth a look.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.