Body Mount Bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Body Mount Bolts

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Body Mount Bolts

Ok so I'm working on getting 3 body mount bolts out....I've been soaking them with PB Blaster off and on for over a week. 3 times just today, and a couple times yesterday. Just tried to get them out with a 3/8" breaker bar. 2 of them don't want to budge, and one of them broke loose without toooooo much effort but I think I'm just spinning the captive nut now.

So, what are my options now that I broke the captive nut loose. It's the one the sits right under the front part of the Driver's seat. The other two I'm working on are the next mount before and the next mount after this one.

Unread 07-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
nathanninja
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you saving your tub? If not, just hack into the floor around the spinning bolt. The two that are frozen, I would PB several times a day for a week. If you drill a hole in a strategic area through the body you can spray the end of the bolt. Some bolts are just too far gone though. Sometimes you can overtighten them and thus snap the head off. You CAN grind them off, but it's a royal pain, I just did mine. Or use a cutting torch, but watch for the fuel lines theyre right under the driver's seat. If you don't have access to that (like me) you can take your time with the grinder, or hack away at the floor around the bolt. Here's what I did to one of mine because I didn't care about my tub, and the bolt wouldn't move
nathanninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...-w-pix-705291/
Have you read this? This is the only way to get any penitration lube onto the bolt.
You have no choice for the spinning one. You are going to have to cut into the tub above the body mount and tack weld a new nut for the mount.
If it is the first one from the front, you are in luck. You can access it by moving the rubber peice that covers that area. Read the post it will show you.
Unread 07-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Yes, I've read that post and drilled my holes. Guess I'm just SOL on this one.

I have to put a new bushing on the bottom of the mounts because it won't pass inspection....otherwise everything is fine. This is turning into a real PITA for 3 little bushings!
Unread 07-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Just discovered one of the bolts appears to be broken between the lift spacer and the body mount.....I think it's from the PO. Can't seem to pull the bolt down through though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.