Body Mount Bolt Locations (For BL) - Detailed Write-Up W/ Pix - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Body Mount Bolt Locations (For BL) - Detailed Write-Up W/ Pix

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 04-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #76
RJMICP
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointech View Post
I figured this out - there were the remains of a washer rusted to the body. Once I took a better look I realized there was something I needed to pry off.

New question: Just went for my test drive and the steering has more resistance. It also doesn't recenter itself without help. Maybe my steering shaft is unhappy? I looked at it briefly and it is rusty but otherwise looked OK. I sprayed it with some MPL at the joints. Is there something else steering related that I might need to check after this install? Anything in the steering column?
I had the same exact issue on the last YJ that I had put a 1" BL on... it was completely stock... make sure the telescoping shaft bolt is loosened... now the other thing that I found with mine- your resistance in your steering might be because of the black(or tan) plastic housing inside your car nearest to your steering wheel... when you lift it it does pull at it a little and increase the friction... what I did... took the steering wheel off, then the black housing... took my angle grinder and took about 1/8" off the plastic... re-installed it, and the wheel, and the steering was perfect again...

RJMICP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #77
RJMICP
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwar View Post
I purchased my 92 YJ, 4.0L w/auto and it came with a 3" BL. I would like to replace the 3" BL with a 1" BL, but I don't know if there is anything else I need replace because of the BL height (ie. radiator mount, tranny, etc..) Thanks!
you sure you aren't my twin?? I just did the SAME exact thing!! bought a 92 YJ 4.0 that had a 3" BL on it... after reading all the reviews on here, I bought a 1" Daystar and just finished installing it... other than the fact that only 3 of the body bolts came out cleanly, and having to hack the Heep apart to get to the broken nuts, it's now installed and looks MUCH better!!! you really shouldn't have to worry about much else... keep an eye on the fuel lines before lowering it on the new mounts... make sure you loosen the bolt of the telescoping steering shaft... you MIGHT have to relocate the fan shroud, but surprisingly enough, mine wasn't an issue... you'll be much happier with the 1" BL
RJMICP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #78
cbl600r
1994 YJ Wrangler 

5 of 11 bolts snapped in half. Including the front one. Looks like I might have to drill that one out. As far as the others go, guess I will try to knock the captive nut loose after i drill some 2" holes in the tub.
cbl600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #79
cbl600r
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone snapped the bolt on the front one? How do I fix that one?
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #80
ckjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if you are talking about the bolt under the grille the easiest way is to pull the grille off the jeep. not fun but it is what it is. i had to use a torch to heat the bolt and was able to get the bolt out.
ckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #81
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
You'll be there forever, hacking and drilling...using a hole saw or a cut off wheel in a 4" grinder and you'll have at the captive nuts in no time, probably less than 30 minutes. Takes nothing to tack (or even rivit) small filler pieces back in to the floor.
After you rhinoline the tub, you'll never know it was there..( or cover it back up with the carpet)
I totally agree with NHfireYJ. Only difference, when I cut out the 2 1/2" holes with a hole saw, I kept the "plugs". Once done, I put a layer of fiberglass down, put the metal caps back on, another layer of fiberglass, a little bit of sanding once dried, and you'll never see it again.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #82
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckjeep View Post
if you are talking about the bolt under the grille the easiest way is to pull the grille off the jeep. not fun but it is what it is. i had to use a torch to heat the bolt and was able to get the bolt out.
A+ on that. Just did exacly what ckjeep said last night and it worked like a charm.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #83
cbl600r
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckjeep
I don't have anything to grab the bolt by now that I have snapped it in half. There is not enough to grab the bolt by above the nut...
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #84
cbl600r
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok made some good progress today. I had to do some cutting. Then used an air hammer to chisel the captive nuts out. Also was able the pull the bolt and nut out of the front without removing the grill.
image-4073912387.jpg   image-2385790015.jpg  
Unread 05-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #85
cbl600r
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well almost had it all installed today. Until I set the the second side on the new lefts and found that the body had shifted. The body sits about 3/8" off toward the front. Tried to pull it back with a come along. Has it pulling on the roll bar. It just pulled the frame and all with it. Not sure what I am going to do..
image-2199978713.jpg  
Unread 05-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #86
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl600r View Post
Well almost had it all installed today. Until I set the the second side on the new lefts and found that the body had shifted. The body sits about 3/8" off toward the front. Tried to pull it back with a come along. Has it pulling on the roll bar. It just pulled the frame and all with it. Not sure what I am going to do..
what is the other end of the come along attached to?

you need to go from the frame to the tub...

Is the other side still loose? If so you should be able to do that with a large drift pin or philips head driver, while someone else starts the bolts...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #87
cbl600r
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the other side is on the lifts and loosely tightened. Have tgh front on too

Don't quite understand. where do I attach the come along? I am sure I could find a spot on the frame but where on the body/tub?
Unread 05-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #88
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl600r View Post
Yes the other side is on the lifts and loosely tightened. Have tgh front on too

Don't quite understand. where do I attach the come along? I am sure I could find a spot on the frame but where on the body/tub?
guessing you have to go back with the tub? If so then hook to the rear axle or frame and make a loop with a strap over the front fender or fender brace...

For 3/8 inch you shouldn't have to put to much pressure that you'll do any damage...

You may be getting shift from the jack too..
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #89
cbl600r
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
guessing you have to go back with the tub? If so then hook to the rear axle or frame and make a loop with a strap over the front fender or fender brace...

For 3/8 inch you shouldn't have to put to much pressure that you'll do any damage...

You may be getting shift from the jack too..
Thanks for the tip. It worked! So glad the BL is almost done. What a royal PITA!
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #90
dwar
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMICP View Post
you sure you aren't my twin?? I just did the SAME exact thing!! bought a 92 YJ 4.0 that had a 3" BL on it... after reading all the reviews on here, I bought a 1" Daystar and just finished installing it... other than the fact that only 3 of the body bolts came out cleanly, and having to hack the Heep apart to get to the broken nuts, it's now installed and looks MUCH better!!! you really shouldn't have to worry about much else... keep an eye on the fuel lines before lowering it on the new mounts... make sure you loosen the bolt of the telescoping steering shaft... you MIGHT have to relocate the fan shroud, but surprisingly enough, mine wasn't an issue... you'll be much happier with the 1" BL
RJMICP, thanks for the info. The steering was my main concern.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.