Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Body Lift vs. Suspension Lift...Difference? Pics? Rough Country

91K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  G30SFF250 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
Don't really know the difference between getting a body lift and a suspension lift. Plan on getting one or the other very soon. Looking to get the 2.5 inch lift. Also, when getting a lift kit... I read about all this other stuff you need to do and replace and whatnot. I am new to the jeep forum and new to fixing up jeeps myself. Learned some from my dad but namely motor work. Never the fun parts like this. Any advice is appreciated. Probably going to go for the rough country. so ANYTHING i need to do to successfully lift my jeep so its reliable is needed. from buying the parts to installing. Thanks!

#3 ·
You first need to read the YJ Tech FAQ up top!
After reading that, you will know the answers to these questions, and ALOT more! :thumbsup:
Nothing like gaining the knowledge for yourself. ;)

But....
A suspension lift changes the suspension, raising the frame off the ground.
A body lift raises the body off the frame which allows fitment of bigger tires.

In my opinion, a body lift should be used only to get that little extra you need for clearance, and never for a first move when it comes to building a rig.

Happy reading.

Oh, and Rough Country lift kits are pretty decent lifts for the money. Not the best on the market, not the cheapest, but right in the sweet spot were you get good parts for a decent price if you have a tight budget.

#4 ·
X2. a body lift should be the "icing on the cake" for a well built rig IMO. for example, get a 4'' lift...RC/RE/BDS etc, and then a 1'' BL and run 33'' tires.

#6 ·
Just my :2c::droolie:

If you are looking to enhance your jeeps performance for more (Off Road Ability) a suspension lift is the way to go.
This allows your suspension move up and down more called articulation. This not only allows for fitment of larger tires
but also allows you rig to benefit from the overall improved performance of an upgraded suspension system.

For us pavement ponders like myself, a body lift is an inexpensive way to gain extra clearance for larger tires without
the improved overall performance of a better suspension.

Most guys like the upgraded suspension with the benefit of more clearance for larger tires. It's a win/win situation.
I myself decided to go with the Rough Country 4" suspension lift also. It was affordable, I gained more articulation,
more clearance for my 33x12.5 tires and also gained the benefit of an upgraded suspension over my sagging
leaf springs and bad shocks that needed to be replaced anyway.

As stated before, most guys use a body lift to replace the old bushings and gain an inch or two for that clearance.
The (extra icing on the cake) as it was put. I also agree with them on that. A 4" RC Suspension lift is a great platform
to start off with. It is easily built from to gain a little more height with body lifts, shackle lifts and motor mount lifts to
go larger in the future. Once you have purchased the kit and installed it on your rig, it's very easy to add the extras
to gain up to another 2-3 inches of lift, depending on your needs.

A 4" suspension is as tall as you can go with out having to replace parts like adding longer drive shafts, adding a
Slip Yoke Eliminator, CV's ect... Remember, for every action (modification) there is a equal and opposite reaction.
Everything affects everything else. I also suggest you read the columns suggested and do the research to find
all the pros and cons of the modifications your interested in and see if it will work for you. Then look at your budget
and decide what you want to do.

A perfect example is when I added my 4" Rough Country lift, I also added a transfer case lowering kit to bring back
my steep drive shaft angles, closer to stock angles. This is not the best solution, but for my needs it was more
then adequate. This lowers your transfer case thus lowering your clearance. The exact opposite of what
most people are trying to achieve. My friend, who rock crawls his rig, didn't want to do this mod. He definitely couldn't
afford to loose an inch of clearance. He opted to do the SYE with extended drive shafts. His needs were different
then mine. My rig will never see a rock or mud hole, at least at this point, for me to spend the extra money for the
upgraded drive shafts and the SYE. See my point.

Anyway read up and make an informed decision about what you need and can afford. Not what everyone else says you need.

John

Rough Country 4" Suspension Lift
Shackle Reversal Kit
1" Lift shackles
"Total of 5 inches of lift"
Transfer Case Drop Kit
33x12.5x15 Dakota AT's
15x7 American Racing Gambler Style Rims
Air intake Upgrade
4.0L Throttle Body Upgrade
19# Ford Design III Injectors

#12 ·
Well if I can just jump into this thread( yea a newbie w/ an opion)I also didnt c the diff between a bdy lft or s lift. But after going back and forth w/ so many out there who know more then I do I decided to go with the 2.5" s. Lift. Of course that's after I ordered the 2" bdy lift with leveling and gap guards. So if I hD to say I'd def start out with the s. Lift

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.