Body lift... now can't shift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Body lift... now can't shift

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
95Turtle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Body lift... now can't shift

All poetry aside... Just installed a 1" Daystar body lift to replace my worn out stock body bushings. Now I have a hard time shifting to 2nd, 4th, and Reverse. I cut away part of the floor in this area when I installed the transfer case drop with my suspension lift. I pulled the shifter boots up and the shifter is not hitting the body, but the rubber dust shield thing that goes beneath the shift boot is binding up between shifter and floor when I shift into 2nd, etc. What is the fix here? Can I just remove this piece and put the shift boot back on? Or has anyone tried to cut some material out of it to make shifting easier?

95Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have that secondary boot on mine. Not saying it's the right thing to do but it certainly worked for mine when it had the 2" BL on it.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pitch that secondary boot in the trash.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

get a sye, a cut down XJ front DS, a 1" MML, and a flatter skid to move your tranny/transfer case back up into the trans tunnel ....and gain some ground clearance under your belly
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
95Turtle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, timatoe and Max, I will tear the secondary boot out. Crackedcornish, that is good advice, but probably more than I want to get into. I don't do a lot of harcore wheeling, the Jeep is just a spare vehicle that I like to tinker around with. I have all the ground clearance I need for the time being...
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it's not unusual to trim the tub at the rear of the shifter tunnel...a 1/2" does it...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yup....drop the 2nd boot and cut some out some more floor.....take a l'il at a time and you'll get it
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine did the same with the t-case drop. After I lost that for an SYE it was fine. A little trimming never hurts though.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
95Turtle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The secondary boot is what was doing me in... shifter was at least 3/4 inch from hitting the edge of the floor. Got rid of the boot and I'm in good shape now.
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Great news! Thanks for updating the thread with your results!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.