Body lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Body lift

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-16-2001, 06:23 PM   #16
iJeep

[quote]Originally posted by RodeoRob:
Quote:
Originally posted by Capa:

$300 is a lot to pay for a body lift. I paid $80 for my 3" body lift... granted that wasn't installed, but...
If you're looking at spending that much money, go a little further and get a 3.5"-4" suspension lift. Rustys sells a 3.5" kit for ~$400. You'll be happier in the long run with a suspension lift.
-Rob
Most places charge more to install a BL than suspension lift because there are a lot of little things that are a pain and they would rather do something that works out smooth and will not cause problems that they will have to repair free of charge in the future.

iJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2001, 09:19 PM   #17
Keymaster

Wow...I appreciate all the input. I think I may take the advice of of SBgreenYJ. From what everyone is telling me, raising my rig on stilts like that is uncool, so I may opt to just stay with my new 31" B.F. Goodrich tires and buy some rims to go along with them. I don't want to compromise anything on my Jeep and without the funds to drop another 400 bucks for a decent lift, I will have to be content with what I have for now. If I could throw a couple of more questions out there though, 1. Would a 15x10 rim be okay to buy for 31" tires, just in case I want to eventually go to a bigger tire and 2. Would a 1 to 1.5" shackle lift be enough to give me an adequate boost in lift? I have a slight rubbing problem now like Capa mentioned so I want to raise it slightly.

Looking for a YJ!
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2001, 09:44 PM   #18
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by Keymaster:
1. Would a 15x10 rim be okay to buy for 31" tires, just in case I want to eventually go to a bigger tire
Well, the width of the tire is much more of a concern than the height. what are you looking at? 31 x 9.50s? For pretty much any width 31" tire, you're gonna want to stay away from a 15x10 rim. I wouldn't recommend a wide rim like that to anyone unless they are running wider than a 12.50" tire. you'll most likely wanna stay with 15x7 or maybe 15x8. If the rim width is close to the tire width, the tire will be more prone to loosing a bead. Also, have a good gab between rim and tire width will ensure the tire protects the rim (sidewall buldge).

Quote:
and 2. Would a 1 to 1.5" shackle lift be enough to give me an adequate boost in lift? I have a slight rubbing problem now like Capa mentioned so I want to raise it slightly.
yea, if you're looking to clear 31's, a 1-2" lift should be adequate.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2001, 09:55 PM   #19
Capa

Damn I got 31x 10.5's when I got my jeep, and was told that 15x10 wheels would fit good. I got a great deal on some Weld Typhoons, so I have 15x10 rims on 31x10.5 tires. I do need new tires soon though, I guess I'll see about going to 12.5 wide.

How much would a shackle lift cost, and how hard is it to put on?
Capa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2001, 10:23 PM   #20
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by Capa:
How much would a shackle lift cost, and how hard is it to put on?
Go to a place like www.quadratec.com and do a search on 'YJ lift shackle'. You'll come up with several companies that make em. You're looking at slightly over $100 for 4 shackles (front/rear).

Anybody willing to turn a wrench can install a shackle lift. Its just a matter of unweighting the axle, removing the bolts that hold the spring to the shackle and then shackle to the frame, and then putting the new one in. easy.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
Unread 10-16-2001, 10:25 PM   #21
RodeoRob

I should add, if you are gonna do a shackle lift and replace the stock shackles, it might be a good idea to spend a few extra bucks and get the greasable shackles. They're not that much more expensive and it will eliminate lots of squeeks you get from the suspension.
-Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.