Body lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Body lift

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-14-2001, 01:14 AM   #1
Keymaster

Body lift

I've got a guy that's willing to sell 5 brand new aluminum rims with 5 brand new 33 inch tires on them for a huge discount. The problem is my ride is stock. He has a 4 inch body lift and there is plenty of clearance. He told me he paid around $80 for the lift and put it on himself. So I have 2 questions. Does anyone see anything wrong with a 4 inch body lift? I haven't seen that option very much in this forum. People tend to opt for the suspension lift, but money is an object. I know I won't have as much clearance but I will definately have more than I have now. LOL. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

91 YJ, H.O. I-6, 31" BF-Goodrich AT KO's.

Looking for a YJ!
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2001, 08:40 AM   #2
kcmudduck

do you use your jeep offroad alot? If it's just a street machine then the body lift shouldn't be to bad. But 4 inchs is alot of body lift. The shifter is going to be 4 inchs smaller, and the steering is going to need to be fixed, the raditor is going to need to be lowered, the bumpers will need to be adjusted another thing is that you will most probably have to take off the shifter boots and cut the out notchs so you can get into all your gears. If you offroad alot then I would say avoid this because it is more trouble then it is worth. With a body lift of that size the chance of tearing or ripping the body wear it bolts to frame is greatly increased. But as for buing the tires and rims go for it. I would (if it were me) spend the money for a used add a leaf from some guy in a local club and then use a small shackle lift combined with a small bodylift 1 to 1 1/2 inch to make room for the 33's. I ran this set up for a while before getting my RE lift. the setup work and is really cheap the aal's should be 50 to 100, the shackles 20, and the bodylift is your choice of fabing one or buying one. hockey pucks work well and are cheap or the four inch cut in half. If nothing else email me I have aal's 1 1/2 shakles and 1 1/2 bodylift seating around my garage some place.
Unread 10-14-2001, 09:30 AM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have never heard of a 4" body lift. 3" body lifts are the tallest I've ever heard of as far as off the shelf. I've had two friends that ran 3" body lifts in their Jeeps. Both have had the body mounts push thru the tub. Expect to reinforce the tub above these mounts.

Another thing to consider is gearing. Usually you can get by with stock gearing on 31s. But with 33s, it'll be a real dog with stock gears. Doable, but you ain't gonna like it.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2001, 08:10 PM   #4
grantnps

Hi, I just got a jeep yesterday, 94 YJ, and It has a 4" lift with 32" tires. Its kinda hard to steer, but thats because there is no power steering, but I like it so far. I was in the CJ forum, thinking I had a CJ, but Im over here now, since I found out what mine was. Later
Unread 10-14-2001, 09:05 PM   #5
RodeoRob

Body lifts do have their place on the trail, but not usually as your first/only lift. BL are generally introduced when extra clearance is needed and all other suspension options have been exhausted. I run a 3" body lift on my rig... i've had it on there for a while and suffered no horrible side effect from it. 3" is the biggest BL i've heard of, never a 4" (thats getting really big).

If you're stuck on getting these tires, go with a small lift (shackles/add-a-leafs) and then if you need it, put a small body lift on (<2").

However, my recommendation to you if you plan on doing a lot of offroading is go ahead and spend a little more for a real lift kit (rusty's offers a 3.5" lift for ~$400). Anything else and you'll end up hating yourself down the road.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2001, 09:51 PM   #6
Somohllik

First off they only make 3 in. body lifts. A 4 in. body lift would be VERY unstable. Most will tell you that 3 in. is even pushing it. Doing that is like putting your jeep on stilts.

I agrree with above and go ahead and get arusty's lift kit. I have heard nothing but good things from it. I have a 2 in. body lift on mine for the time being, but as soon as i raise the $$ i am getting a Rusty's lift. It is well worth the money. HTH

[url="http://www.Soundom.com/cgi-bin/affiliate.cgi?id=Slimmy"]Click here to make money for listening to music !![/url]
Somohllik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2001, 11:07 PM   #7
iJeep

AHHHHHH...4"????? I wouldnt do anyt BL over 1"...but that may just be me...

You will have cooling issues if it gets hot where you live because of the fan shroud and radiator positions.
You will have problems with brake, clutch, shifter linkage probably.
There will be a 4" gap between the body and frame...including in the rear and front where it is really noticable.
The only people I know that run big body lifts and like them are people that show their truck and dont want to take it offroad because it might get scratched and they garage it when it is not in a show so that they can win more trophies with it.
If you want to wheel your Jeep a small BL is fine and there are cheap ways to give you more suspension lift.
iJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2001, 05:39 PM   #8
SBgreenYJ

For all the **** you'll need to do to compensate for the stilits you wanna put on to accomodate for the tires and rims you could buy a nice set of 31's and get some decent wheels for the same price. Yea it might be cool to have bigger tires but you arent going to gain more than 1 inch in height vs the 31's with the 33's. and youre rig is gonna look pretty messed up. If you do it best of luck, but i think in the long run you'll wanna wish you hadnt done it. my $.02
Unread 10-15-2001, 07:28 PM   #9
grantnps

Is a body lift and a lift kit the same thing. If so, I have a 4" lift kit, and so does my friend, so they do make them.
Unread 10-15-2001, 07:33 PM   #10
Capa

I have 31x10.5's and get a little rubbing, and alot of bumping. What is the cheapest way I should get some lift? The local 4x4 shop guy told me to do a 3 inch body lift(for $300 installed). This is only for driving on the beach/pulling my jetski, no really rough off roading will be done.
Capa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2001, 07:38 PM   #11
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by grantnps:
Is a body lift and a lift kit the same thing. If so, I have a 4" lift kit, and so does my friend, so they do make them.
No, when people generally talk about a "lift kit" they are referring to a suspension lift. Body lifts raise the body of the vechile off the frame. Suspension lifts raise the frame and body off the wheels (axles).
-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
Unread 10-15-2001, 07:40 PM   #12
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by Capa:
I have 31x10.5's and get a little rubbing, and alot of bumping. What is the cheapest way I should get some lift? The local 4x4 shop guy told me to do a 3 inch body lift(for $300 installed). This is only for driving on the beach/pulling my jetski, no really rough off roading will be done.
$300 is a lot to pay for a body lift. I paid $80 for my 3" body lift... granted that wasn't installed, but...
If you're looking at spending that much money, go a little further and get a 3.5"-4" suspension lift. Rustys sells a 3.5" kit for ~$400. You'll be happier in the long run with a suspension lift.
-Rob
Unread 10-15-2001, 09:56 PM   #13
grantnps

Quote:
I know i have 4" lift, so I guess I have a suspension lift. Is it better to have a body lift?
Unread 10-16-2001, 06:23 AM   #14
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by grantnps:
Is it better to have a body lift?
No, many people would say the opposite, its better to have a suspension lift. Suspension lifts will lift the whole car away from the ground, where body lifts only move the body leaving the frame and all underside components still at the same heigth. Body lifts do provide more room in the fenders and are helpful in fitting bigger tires when all suspension lift has been exhausted.

-Rob
Unread 10-16-2001, 04:13 PM   #15
grantnps

Cool, thanks rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.