On board air - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > On board air

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.com

Unread 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Viair set up with twin 325cfm compressors and 2gal tank. I mounted it on the top of the wheel well. It is electric and draws some pretty good amps so you may want to make sure you have a good battery and alternator. I love it. the only thing I would do differently it to get the bigger compressors. Having said that I have never had a problem with what I got. As well living on a ranch it has proven to be invaluable.
The reviews section probably has reviews on OBAs.

89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #17
fisyac

After many thoughts I want to convert a ac compressor but currently with limited funds I was wondering if any body used scuba tanks to re air or as there on board air I have several and I think they hold 3k psi?
fisyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
debord97
1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...p-pics-471962/
debord97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to say that a York setup is "best" if you can make it work.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #20
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a little closer to having my On-Board-Air done. I've mounted the 1 gallon tank under the tub. I also fabricated a bracket to hold the pressure switch, T's, and fittings under the hood. To keep the under hood quick connect port clean, I used a fitting with a pressure gauge, this also allows me to know what the pressure is in the system. I also installed the ARB quick connect fitting on the rear of the Jeep behind the license plate. This should keep is a little cleaner, and not in a potential high damage area. Now to get the hoses from the compressor fabricated, and install the arming switch. The only bad decision I think I've made, is the arming of the system, will be by a switch that grounds the pressure switch circuit. If I'm not careful, I could leave the compressor on when the engine is off, running down the battery.

W_A_Watson_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great thus far
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisyac View Post
Does anyone have one and is one better than another?
I think the two important properties to look for on a compressor are the flow rate and duty cycle. Viair makes some pretty good units with relatively easy install.
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
89yjparrothead
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did the Saden A/C compressor mod and love it. The only thing I changed in my set-up was where I mounted the air/oil filter. I had first put it in the engine bay and what was happening was the plastic bowl would crack from the heat. I moved it to inside the passenger compartment next to my tank and have not had an issue with it since. That's my 2 cents if you decide to go this route. Good luck!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.