On board air - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > On board air

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Viair set up with twin 325cfm compressors and 2gal tank. I mounted it on the top of the wheel well. It is electric and draws some pretty good amps so you may want to make sure you have a good battery and alternator. I love it. the only thing I would do differently it to get the bigger compressors. Having said that I have never had a problem with what I got. As well living on a ranch it has proven to be invaluable.
The reviews section probably has reviews on OBAs.

89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
fisyac

After many thoughts I want to convert a ac compressor but currently with limited funds I was wondering if any body used scuba tanks to re air or as there on board air I have several and I think they hold 3k psi?
fisyac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
debord97
1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...p-pics-471962/
debord97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to say that a York setup is "best" if you can make it work.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a little closer to having my On-Board-Air done. I've mounted the 1 gallon tank under the tub. I also fabricated a bracket to hold the pressure switch, T's, and fittings under the hood. To keep the under hood quick connect port clean, I used a fitting with a pressure gauge, this also allows me to know what the pressure is in the system. I also installed the ARB quick connect fitting on the rear of the Jeep behind the license plate. This should keep is a little cleaner, and not in a potential high damage area. Now to get the hoses from the compressor fabricated, and install the arming switch. The only bad decision I think I've made, is the arming of the system, will be by a switch that grounds the pressure switch circuit. If I'm not careful, I could leave the compressor on when the engine is off, running down the battery.

W_A_Watson_II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great thus far
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #22
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisyac View Post
Does anyone have one and is one better than another?
I think the two important properties to look for on a compressor are the flow rate and duty cycle. Viair makes some pretty good units with relatively easy install.
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
89yjparrothead
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did the Saden A/C compressor mod and love it. The only thing I changed in my set-up was where I mounted the air/oil filter. I had first put it in the engine bay and what was happening was the plastic bowl would crack from the heat. I moved it to inside the passenger compartment next to my tank and have not had an issue with it since. That's my 2 cents if you decide to go this route. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.