Blue's 87 Yj Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blue's 87 Yj Build

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 05-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Blue's 87 Yj Build

Well i started this thread on my club forum a little while back. i know if i put it on here i will get more response and even more advice so ill just do both.
the jeepforum community has helped me through an xj, a cj, and now im with my favorite so far my YJ.

I got this yj after i blew the motor in my CJ and really didnt have the time to rebuild although now i figured it would have been cheaper but im happier with the YJ.
Its an 87 YJ that i bought off a guy who had literally just had it a week and figured out he didnt have the money or patience to fix everything that was needed. Before that it sat in a barn on a ranch. it had 85,000 miles on it and i got it for a steal.

This is what it looked like a week after i got it with tires supplied from my old CJ ;D
I also rebuilt the Carb and found out the Computer is pretty much fried which affects the carb and distributor.

Unfortunately after these pics I found out i had a hole in my gas tank 3/4 of the way up. I did a quick patch up with a bar of soap and ordered a brand new poly-urethane gas tank.  it took a month to get it so i could only keep a 1/4 tank in the jeep.

Just break it, that way you have to upgrade
cresencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Blue's 87 Yj Build

My seats were torn up pretty bad and i didnt have money for brand new ones so i hit up the junk yard and pulled out seats from a 97 grand prix. they sit higher than the stock seats but i like it. the passenger seat didnt bolt right in so i have to build an adapter for the bracket. ive just been lazy so it hasnt been done yet. comfy seat though.

i also put in a new heater core the same week.

Unread 05-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Blue's 87 Yj Build

Ok so my stock center console was a big heeping peice of plastic crap that didnt lock and wobbled around. it really bothered me so i searched for a solution. this is what i ended up doing for a center console. I used a 556 ammo box i bought from army surplus.

I DRILLED 2 SMALL HOLES AND PUT A U-BOLT THROUGH THE FLIP OPENING WITH A SMALL PADLOCK.

THE FRONT BOLTED DOWN STRAIGHT TO THE TUB. IN THE REAR I HAD TO USE SOME LIFT TABS I FOUND LAYING AROUND A CONSTRUCTION AREA AT WORK.

THIS WAS THE FINAL RESULT

OH AND WHEN I DID THIS I ALSO ADDED SOME OFFROAD LIGHTS ON MY BUMPER

Unread 05-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Blue's 87 Yj

The next big problem that came up was the overheating. i first didnt notice the overheating cause my gauge needle was bent to the left making it seem like the temp was fine. well once the smoke started to arise while at idle i knew i had a problem.
It looked like a few of my hoses were bad and probably a bad thermostat so i replaced every hose except one and put a brand new thermostat.
well a couple days later i got off work only to find a big puddle of ccolant under the jeep. the lower hose went bad (the hose i didnt replace) so i replaced that one.
i was still loosing coolant somehow. there was a tiny puddle under the jeep after every drive and some on my leaf springs. Not being the brightest in the bunch i also finally noticed i didnt have a coolant reservoir bottle. i did this for a temporary fix:

yup its a canola bottle.
i now have a coolant bottle from summit racing. ill get a pic up later, dont have one on hand.

so i thought the problem was solved but i was wrong as i found out on the trail with contra and clacker and dalton. my radiator was leaking so i replaced it with a all aluminum performance radiator with extra wide tubes. also got a new cap and changed the thermostat to a 180
old crap

New Bling

Unread 05-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Blue's 87 Yj Build

I also painted my Hood, Doors, and Tailgate black. the paint was coming off pretty bad so i sanded it down and rattle canned it black.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Unread 05-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #6
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Blue's 87 Yj Build

So i thought it would be a good idea to invest in a top. ive never had a top that covered everything. ive only had bikini tops. i love em but when it rains or gets cold it sux. so i bought this in hondo for only 400, i think i got a good deal. its off a Cj7 and needs some adjusting to fit right and maybe some paint or spray on bedliner ;D

oh and i almost forgot the sticker. love stickers, especially this one.

Unread 05-20-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Blue's 87 Yj Build

Ok today has been a pretty productive day so far. I invested in some doors. the doors are from a really old cj pre82 i believe. there is a gap between the door and body but i think some thick weather stripping will take care of it. it took some ghetto fabricating to make a latch for them, but it suprisingly works. later on i will bend an apropriate piece of metal so this works a little bit better. ok well heres the pics:
oh, btw i got my stereo in (donated by contra ;D) but since my speakers were in my half doors i found another solution. i was at pepboys 4 months ago for some unknown reason and stumbled across a small speaker box that holds 2 6.5in speakers and 2 tweeters. it was on sale and there was like 2 left so i bought it not even knowing what i would use it for. well it convienently sits between the front seats and rear seat now that i have a smaller center console, so now the sub can go back in. ;D

Unread 05-20-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Blue's 87 Yj Build

ive been a busy bee on every vehicle but my jeep >
but i did manage to get something accomplished.

My compressor was retrofitted to recieve freon thats not from the old days ;D
got it e-vacked and recharged

now i have a/c

also put weatherstripping around the doors, working on rigging something back up for my passenger mirror that broke the last creek meet, and finally bought the metal needed to finish my bracket for the passenger seat

on a crappier note i installed a new stereo in my fiance's car, and since her old one had an ipod jack i though why not install it in the jeep so i can use my ipod!
that didnt go well, somehow from being tired,hot and in a bad mood i screwed up and the wiring harness is trashed now from frustration
-so i tried to install my old stereo and it didnt work either.
so now i have to trace all my wires one by one to see what the problem is...yay >

i should have just left it alone

Unread 05-20-2009, 02:18 AM   #9
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Blue's 87 Yj Build

OK fixed the stereo situation, busted fuse i stupidly looked over.
heres everything ive done so far, but i still have a loooong journey ahead of me

NEW GAS TANK
CB RADIO AND ANTENNA
NEW FRONT SEATS (97 GRAND PRIX)
NEW OVERFLOW TANK
NEW HEATER CORE
ALL NEW HOSES AND CLAMPS
NEW RADIATOR (ALL ALLUMINUM) AND RADIATOR CAP
NEW THERMOSTAT(180 DEGREE)
AMMO BOX CENTER CONSOLE
GOT MY A/C RETROFITTED AND RECHARGED...NOW BLOWIN COLD
BOUGHT HARD TOP
GOT FULL DOORS (DONT LIKE EM, I REALLY WANT SOME FROM A YJ OR CJ, THESE ARE JUST A LITTLE FLIMSY FOR MY TASTE. BUT THEY ARE VERY LIGHT AND I LIKE THE SLIDERS)
NEW STEREO,AMP,SPEAKERS (BETWEEN BACK AND FRONT SEATS), AND SUB

Heres a couple of questions i have for things i will need to do soon.

i have a Ba10/5 tranny. i want to change the oil because i am unaware of the last time it has been changed, plus i am sometimes losing 1st and 2nd gear. i bled the clutch twice and i think im gona try the tranny fluid change. my question is how do i get the fill and drain plugs open . i do not have immediate access to a grinder, from what ive read people have grinded down an extension, is this right? Is there another way?

also i have a question concerning a popping noise. while i have been wheeling (in 4wd only) i noticed a popping noise. cant be sure where its coming from. it sounded like a ujoint, and my front driveshaft was loose, so i replaced those but it continues. i only hear it in 4wd goin pretty slow. could it still be another ujoint that is about to go or should i be looking in another direction????

Unread 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

dang dude, have you been living on cases of red bull? ;D

that's a lot of stuff done... looking forward to more updates.
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
hillie4life
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, like the ammo box idea... i saw 556s on one of them, know a guy doing his with an old .50 Cal box, definitely like the concept

"It's always something"
hillie4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #12
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartwell59 View Post
dang dude, have you been living on cases of red bull? ;D

that's a lot of stuff done... looking forward to more updates.
pretty much
i work nights and hit the gym in the morning, on my days off i just stay up for 20 hours and in that time i usually find something to do on the jeep

Unread 05-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillie4life View Post
Wow, like the ammo box idea... i saw 556s on one of them, know a guy doing his with an old .50 Cal box, definitely like the concept
i actually bought the 50cal first to do this but after installation i found that it was kinda in the way of my shifter and i kept banging my elbow.

Unread 05-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

we need to get it muddy again!
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #15
cresencio
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contra View Post
we need to get it muddy again!
Do you mean like this.

i do agree, but i definetly want to do some work first:
change tranny and t-case fluids
and rear driveshaft u joints
and maybe the axle u joints also

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.