Blue Torch Fab Sport Cage kit install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blue Torch Fab Sport Cage kit install

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doorsJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 05-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Blue Torch Fab Sport Cage kit install

Well after many years and a few close calls recently, I decided it was finally time to do a proper roll cage in the YJ. I spent a lot of time researching the various add on cage kits on the market and decided to go with the new sport cage kit from Blue Torch Fabworks to use as the base for my build. for the price it was the most complete kit. I got the kit in a few days ago, and on first inspection, it lived up to Blue Torches reputation and quality.

Now, many years ago when I didn't know any better, I had removed the factory spreaders and replaced them with a homebrew sport cage made of, well, not good material at all. A combination of pipe and glorified exhaust tube for the spreaders. Lets just say I've been very lucky to have never rolled with it. So the first order of business was to remove the components from my overhead console and cut out the old crap. I started with a 4.5" cut off disc, but quickly realized it would take me all day. So out came the Plasma cutter which made short work of removing the old bars

Then I used a cut off wheel, grinding disc, and flap disc to remove the leftovers from the B pillar and smooth it all out. Then the installation of the new could begin. Here you can see the difference between what I had, and the new 1.75"x.120 wall DOM in the kit

First thing to be fit was the windshield spreader on the passenger side. I removed the old plate from the windshield, installed the one from the kit, ground down the original header support tube so the new bar would slide over it nicely and ended up having to motivate it up a little with a BFH. Blue Torch says to remove these, but I felt it couldn't hurt to have a little extra support at the B pillar joint so I decided to leave them as slugs instead.

Next I had to mock in the A pillar down tube. I slid it in with the foot plate and decided where I wanted it, tacked the foot plate to the bottom of the tube and pulled it out to finish welding the 1/4" floor plate to the bottom of the A-pillar tube, then I set the A pillar back in, marked the bolt holes and drilled them. Mounted the foot to the floor and welded the top to the spreader.

the A pillar follows the dash very nicely!!

Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

At this point I repeated the same process on the passenger side. The next step was the dash bar which dropped right into place like butter. Couple quick passes and its welded in at the front and top. When i am done with my additions I will remove the entire cage so I can do the finish welding and get to the bottom and back of the dash bar and the other area I couldn't get to or get to comfortably to get a good weld on it.

After the dash bar was in I went to install the top spreader from A to A. this was the only bar I had to modify a little bit to get in, but looking back It was because I had gotten ahead of myself. I should have put the dash bar and the header bar in prior to welding the windshield plates and it would have fit no problem. So I had to cut it down a touch to get it to fit. Once that was resting in, I measured and set in the middle B to A header spreader bars. When everything was where I wanted it I burned it all in. Since I am not done with the additions I just threw a coat of weld thru primer on the whole thing and called it a day. In some pics you will see areas that were not finished welding, again due to my dislike of welding upside down or having to work at an akward angle. these joints will be done when I remove the cage.

Overall the Blue Torch kit was just fantastic to put in. everything was cut and notched perfectly. Some instructions or at least suggestions as to what order to do everything in would have been nice, but it is a DIY kit, so.

Still to be done and added to the cage:
windshield V bars
Seat and harness mounts
Door bars
Some additions to the factory rear section
X bar on the B pillar
Lower B to C bars
C to C bar
Rearview Mirror mount on the cage
Overhead console in the spreaders
mount plate on the dash bar for a RAM mount base for GPS and such
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
At this point I repeated the same process on the passenger side. The next step was the dash bar which dropped right into place like butter. Couple quick passes and its welded in at the front and top. When i am done with my additions I will remove the entire cage so I can do the finish welding and get to the bottom and back of the dash bar and the other area I couldn't get to or get to comfortably to get a good weld on it.

After the dash bar was in I went to install the top spreader from A to A. this was the only bar I had to modify a little bit to get in, but looking back It was because I had gotten ahead of myself. I should have put the dash bar and the header bar in prior to welding the windshield plates and it would have fit no problem. So I had to cut it down a touch to get it to fit. Once that was resting in, I measured and set in the middle B to A header spreader bars. When everything was where I wanted it I burned it all in. Since I am not done with the additions I just threw a coat of weld thru primer on the whole thing and called it a day. In some pics you will see areas that were not finished welding, again due to my dislike of welding upside down or having to work at an akward angle. these joints will be done when I remove the cage.

Overall the Blue Torch kit was just fantastic to put in. everything was cut and notched perfectly. Some instructions or at least suggestions as to what order to do everything in would have been nice, but it is a DIY kit, so.

Still to be done and added to the cage:
windshield V bars
Seat and harness mounts
Door bars
Some additions to the factory rear sectionX bar on the B pillar
Lower B to C bars
C to C bar
Rearview Mirror mount on the cage
Overhead console in the spreaders
mount plate on the dash bar for a RAM mount base for GPS and such

my rear... I doing the front much like yours now, but just using old rollbars for salvaged jeeps.... for therear I used my sport bar and a falmily bar out of a TJ.... cut it all to fit and welded into place....

I like your in the front, Ima follow this pattern if it is ok with you?

my thread on how i did it

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

be my guest. I just took a ton of measurements to come up with how much tube i am gonna need to finish it the way i want it. Looking at about 25 feet of 1.75" and 15 feet of 1"
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks real nice Scott!
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks Joe, its a start. Gonna borrow your idea of the perforated sheet for the overhead console. I really like the way that looks on yours
Unread 08-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Subbed for reference.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.