Blown Head Gasket? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blown Head Gasket?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #31
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
the same as you dont have one. You have multiple injectors. What he put fuel into was the air intake which is the same on yours.
Um... yes I do. I don't have throttle body INJECTION, but the air comes through the throttle body.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 03:54 AM   #32
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am a bit slow. I have realized the difference in a trottle body and trottle body injection. I even found a 4.0tb for $20 to go with the 19lb Ford style injectors a mechanic gave me for kicks and grins. Head came back from the shop. Got to buy some gaskets and check lifters.

I have replaced timing belts, but I have never needed to replace a timing chain at 100k? I have taken several cars to 200K mile range.
clarkmcmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #33
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

FYI-Went to pick up the head and the old guy at the Machine/Build shop asked if this thing had been sitting up for a while. I told him yes, about two years. He said I needed to drop the gas tank, dump it, clean it, dump it, clean it, spray it, flush the lines and change the filters. He cleaned and reseaded the valves. Everything checked out fine. Would do more work on it if I wanted to spend more money but didn't need to. Paid him $40 and brought it home.

This whole thread could have been avoided if I had cleaned the tank the day I drug it home.

I was going over everything with my dad a few weeks ago. He asked if I dropped the tank and cleaned it. I said no, just added cleaner and fresh gas. "Oh", he said, "I would have never have done anything without getting all that bad gas out first"

There is no telling what I am going to screw up one day when Dad's not around for advice.
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #34
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You will learn to think for yourself. And always seek knowledge from the elders in your life, Grasshopper
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #35
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkmcmp View Post
FYI-Went to pick up the head and the old guy at the Machine/Build shop asked if this thing had been sitting up for a while. I told him yes, about two years. He said I needed to drop the gas tank, dump it, clean it, dump it, clean it, spray it, flush the lines and change the filters. He cleaned and reseaded the valves. Everything checked out fine. Would do more work on it if I wanted to spend more money but didn't need to. Paid him $40 and brought it home.

This whole thread could have been avoided if I had cleaned the tank the day I drug it home.

I was going over everything with my dad a few weeks ago. He asked if I dropped the tank and cleaned it. I said no, just added cleaner and fresh gas. "Oh", he said, "I would have never have done anything without getting all that bad gas out first"

There is no telling what I am going to screw up one day when Dad's not around for advice.
Not necessarily. It is a good idea to dump the old gas and flush everything out tho. I've never seen bad, gummy gas cause bent push rods, but I suppose its possible. It wouldn't hurt to clean it all out, tank, lines and all.

The timing set, cam, and lifters was just to be paranoid. Normally they last for hundreds of thousands of miles. Before you put the head back on, you can turn the engine over a few times and at least make sure they are not binding or anything. See if they all move the same amount.

Reason being is that will tell you if a valve was hitting the piston, which will cause bent pushrods. It would also tell you if a lifter was binding, or not moving at all. Being out of time ("skipped a tooth") between the valves and pistons normally bends a bunch of pushrods all at once.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #36
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got the head back. Engine builder fixed the valve and said everything checked out fine. He said my problem was gas from sitting up so long. I dopped tank and drained it. Very thick varnish in bottom of tank. Scraped it out. Changed strainer and fuel filter. Put head back on. I think I have all vacuum lines right. Changed out fuel injectors with some 19lb ford type I found. I have two plugs I'm not sure where they go. Do these look familier to anyone?

Unread 03-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #37
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

While we were waiting on the head, here is what my 14 year old son and I did to the interior. Spray dyed the seats, krylon fusion on the dash and door panels, and black bedliner rolled on the floor. Found a new in box top on Craigslist for $100.

Unread 03-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #38
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, that looks great! How much did you pay for it? Those 2 connecors you were looking at, what were the wire colors and where were they located? How much did you pay for it?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #39
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I gave $400 for the Jeep. I have just over $1000 total in it now. Here is a picture before we pulled it out of the seller's yard where it had sat for 2 years.

Unread 03-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #40
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure the gray connector goes to temp sensor on the right side of the head back toward the firewall. Somehow during the work, the sensor got broke. I see the brass part with chalk like material inside. The connector is grey and looks like one black wire.

The four prong also pictured has 1-green wire with orange stripe, 2-black with green stripe, 1-black It is attached to the wire harness on the manifold side of head. It is about 12" long so can reach several areas.
Unread 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #41
Nibbley15
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The one 4 wire square I remember on that side is for the o2 sensor, but I think that is the wrong end of the plug. Just a thought, while I run out to my Jeep

EDIT: looked under the hood, and all I can find for a square 4 wire is the o2 sensor, check that one
Nibbley15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #42
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ended up taking the head off and letting a machine shop clean and reseat the valves. Most likely from bad gas from sitting for two years. I dropped the tank and cleaned some nasty stuff out of bottom. Had to scrape it out. Everything is back together. Thanks for you help.
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #43
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just re-read this thread. I'm sure you guys were shaking your heads at some of these comments. Thanks seeing me through this. Two years later and all is good. I thought about this post when I saw someone questioning if they had to drop tank and clean out the old gas. Yes you should.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.