Blown Head Gasket? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blown Head Gasket?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #16
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My mechanic thinks the valve stem guide is now most likely stuck to the valve stem, instead of the head. Might see burn a little oil and start fouling plugs in that cylinder. We shall see. Any agree or disagree?

clarkmcmp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #17
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My mechanic thinks the valve guide is now attached to the valve stem instead of the head. Will start using oil and maybe fauling plugs. Any thoughts?
Unread 02-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I thought this problem was put to rest, but no. Went to crank the Jeep and I did not sould right when cranked. Shut off, pulled the plug I for the cylinder I had been having problems with and I was, I thought fouled, definitley wet. Changed plug, ran fine. Drive around Sunday, went to lunch, drove around. Parked. Started it back up and I had bent another push rod on the same rocker arm/exhaust valve. This time the valve was not stuck closed. Put in another push rod, seems to run fine.

New Theory-I think I am leaking gas into cylinder after longer drives. The build up of gas in cylinder after the engine is shut off is causing the bent push rods. I don't think the plugs, wires, module, and all the rest was the problem. I don't mind having an extra start module from what I've read. The other needed done anyway.

Do I clean, replace, or service the injector? I don't know if there is a piece of trash in it or is it leaking when shut under pressure.
Unread 02-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkmcmp View Post
I thought this problem was put to rest, but no. Went to crank the Jeep and I did not sould right when cranked. Shut off, pulled the plug I for the cylinder I had been having problems with and I was, I thought fouled, definitley wet. Changed plug, ran fine. Drive around Sunday, went to lunch, drove around. Parked. Started it back up and I had bent another push rod on the same rocker arm/exhaust valve. This time the valve was not stuck closed. Put in another push rod, seems to run fine.

New Theory-I think I am leaking gas into cylinder after longer drives. The build up of gas in cylinder after the engine is shut off is causing the bent push rods. I don't think the plugs, wires, module, and all the rest was the problem. I don't mind having an extra start module from what I've read. The other needed done anyway.

Do I clean, replace, or service the injector? I don't know if there is a piece of trash in it or is it leaking when shut under pressure.
That is disappointing for sure. I thought the prob was solved. I think your idea is possible but maybe a long shot. If nothing else it doesn't hurt to clean and test the injectors. My mechanic told me it was $25 if I take them out myself and bring them into him. If you can get a reasonable low price like that then I would just do it anyhow.

However since it keeps happening. I am inclined to think that it is a metal-upon-metal problem. As in things are hitting each other internally and getting bent. The only other thing which I know for a fact can cause this, is a bad timing chain and gears. If the timing chain and gears are shot, then all of the pushrods would be at least slightly whacked in an equal way. Since its only the one cylinder then I think this is not the prob. Most likely the valve is stuck in the guide instead of the guide staying in the head, and the head should be rebuilt. Pretty much like your mechanic/machinist said.

If the worst comes to worst you might end up getting a new cam and lifters and a rebuilt cylinder head. Probably $400 total if you just buy everything, but maybe a lot less if you get creative and do things yourself. It's a rare case as far as I know.

Bummer.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #20
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Why not pull that had off and polish/clean the crap out of everything related to the valvetrain? Maybe also buy a timing chain cover gasket and check on that chain while you're down there?

It seems like this is the only alternative to actually swapping or remachining this long block.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #21
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Why not pull that had off and polish/clean the crap out of everything related to the valvetrain? Maybe also buy a timing chain cover gasket and check on that chain while you're down there?

It seems like this is the only alternative to actually swapping or remachining this long block.
x2
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #22
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

While we are working through the internals, we are working on the externals as well. My son did some Krylon detailing yesterday. His first. Did a great job. I did a box knife lift. Pictures to follow.

Unread 02-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #23
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The valve stuck again. I have pushed my luck as far as I am going to with this one. Pulling head and getting it fixed. Changed out fuel injectors too. One was leaking down. What do I use on the bolts holding the head down? None of my sockets fit tight.
Unread 02-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #24
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Valve stuck again and bent another exhaust push rod. I have pulled the head and taken it to a machine shop. I has been fun to play with because I have a running engine. break a valve and mess up an engine and the toy changes.

While the head is off the the shop, my son talked me into gutting the inside, doing a bedline treatment, dying the interior to match a top I found on craigslist. Granddad was in town. Great fun.
Unread 02-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

While the head is off take a peak at each lifter, if any lifter base is showing any wear or is concaved at all it is a good time to change the cam/ lifters and timing gears/chain.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #26
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkmcmp View Post
just realized I don't have a throttle body. Guess I just poured some gas in the air intake. Pulled coil wire from distributer and have some spark. Not sure it is enough.
How do you not have a throttle body?

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #27
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
How do you not have a throttle body?
the same as you dont have one. You have multiple injectors. What he put fuel into was the air intake which is the same on yours.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #28
GAT72991
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Lol at the throttle body, i thought the same thing for a sec when i was skimming through then i got it...i second what dwayne said, good time for new cam/lifters and timing set, nothing would suck worse than getting that nice valve/head job and having your valve timing be off and you get to eat up one of your purty new valves and put a hole in your piston...just my .02, something like that would happen if it was me, just my luck with my jeep lol. Finally got all my kinks worked out with dialling in my new carb and everything and spun my #6 rod bearing lol. Take it slow and do it right, youll thank yourself later man
GAT72991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #29
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Tag
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #30
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

X3 on that... new timing chain set, cam, and lifters. Just to be sure. It's cheap insurance IMHO once you've got the head off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.