Blown Head Gasket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blown Head Gasket?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Blown Head Gasket?

Found neglected '95 YJ 2.5, 105k. Been sitting outside couple years. Put battery in and cranked. Changed oil, checked fluids, and lots of cleaning. Finally got some tires on it yesterday and felt safe to take it out of neighborhood for first time. Heater hose started leaking. Cut end off where split and reattached. Drove about 10 miles and parked it in driveway. In hindsight I now think it was running a little rough last couple miles. An hour later went to crank and barely started. Sounds like engine is coming apart. Barely runs. Engine ticking. Oil dipstick over full, but not milky.
I am thinking when I fixed leaking hose I caused pressure to increase in cooling system. Next drive engine got warm and pushed coolant into cyclinders. Right on wrong direction? What do I do next?

clarkmcmp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You would not have over pressured the cooling system, the rad cap regulates that.
The oil being over full indicates a blown HG. Drain the oil and see what you find. Perform a compression check.
Not all blown head gaskets will leak compression, it is possible to leak between oil/water ways also.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Dwayne for responding. My thoughts were that the leak in the hose had never allowed the pressure to reach normal running conditions. I will drain oil today and see what I have. Will post.
My son said she ran great with the dryrotted tires and rotted top. Maybe we should put that crap back on. Looked bad, ran good. Looks good, runs bad.
Unread 01-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Drained oil looks clean. Put oil in and shows overfilled. I now don't think dipstick is original. Pulled plugs and turned it over with them out. #1 was a little wet. All were black not toasty brown. Changed plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor while I was in there. New nothing of history of maintenance on vehicle so figured good time to take care of it. Turns over, sounds like it hits a lick every once in a while, no start. Poured gas in trottle body. Have pressure on fuel rail. Get codes 12, 33, 55. 12 battery disconnected in past. 33 AC Coolant looks good.
Unread 01-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

just realized I don't have a throttle body. Guess I just poured some gas in the air intake. Pulled coil wire from distributer and have some spark. Not sure it is enough.
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fogged the air intake with starting fluid. Nothing. Figured this meant I had a spark problem. Checked ohms on coil, within range. Must be start sensor. Bought new one, still nothing. What next?
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

if you have fuel, air, and spark, and it still wont start, you may need to look towards a timing problem... wether it be mechanical, or ignition timing.

does it turn over normally or does it backfire or buck or anything?

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It turns over normally now. When I parked it on Fri night is was running fine. Same night I jump in and spins over finally cranks, sounds like it is runnin on a couple cylinders. I pulled it out on the street to get another vehicle out and I has not cranked since. That is when I started this thread.
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i would do the compression check. like said above ^

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Went back to check everything I had touched. I had #3 and #4 plug wires crossed. Now it cranks. Running really rough. Pulled plug wires and it looks like I have dropped #1 cylinder. Going to do compression check on that one. I remember that plug was a little wet when I pulled it out. Thanks for hangin with me.
Unread 01-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Could not get my compression gauge started in #1 cylinder. Took off valve cover and exhaust push rod was bent bad. Found new one at Napa, put it in and could tell things weren't right. Pulled valve cover off. I had bent another push rod. Sent wife to get a new one. Tapped on exhaust valve and it was stuck. Tapped it down till spring compressed and it popped out. Did this three or four times and it quit sticking. Put new push rod in, torqued rockers. Cranked with valve cover off and it seamed ok. Put valve cover on. Seems to be running fine. Is anyone cringing at this. Believe me I did too. For now it runs. Time will tell. Thanks for your help. I still need to check compression.
Unread 01-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

By the way, how do I get my jeep picture to come up on my forum post?
Unread 01-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You've gone this far. Take the head off and get a complete valve job, make sure the head is straight, etc.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkmcmp View Post
Could not get my compression gauge started in #1 cylinder. Took off valve cover and exhaust push rod was bent bad. Found new one at Napa, put it in and could tell things weren't right. Pulled valve cover off. I had bent another push rod. Sent wife to get a new one. Tapped on exhaust valve and it was stuck. Tapped it down till spring compressed and it popped out. Did this three or four times and it quit sticking. Put new push rod in, torqued rockers. Cranked with valve cover off and it seamed ok. Put valve cover on. Seems to be running fine. Is anyone cringing at this. Believe me I did too. For now it runs. Time will tell. Thanks for your help. I still need to check compression.
This happened to me once too, years ago. Last I heard that engine is still running fine with over 300k miles. You may want to run a bunch of Sea Foam or Gumout or something through the engine to make sure all the valves and etc. are cleaned off and freed up.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
clarkmcmp
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did buy a can of Sea Foam to add to next fill up. I called my dad just to walk through what I had done before I started it the last time. "I don't think you are going to screw it up any more than you already have." I that point his comment sounded pretty good.

I do appreciate everyone that took time to comment. I felt like a Verizon add with so many people behind me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.