Blowing through ignition coils- 96 4.0 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blowing through ignition coils- 96 4.0

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
TEXAIR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

By the way, the engine and ECM is out of a Cherokee.

I realize they are the same beast but when I read about the P0351 code it said it could be a bad coil or driver.

Since the mechanic was leading me with questions instead of me dragging info out of him, I figured he was pretty knowledgeable. And the problems he listed were dead on the money with what I was seeing.

'05 TJ Unlimited. Black, 4" Superlift. Warn M-8000, Homemade Disconnects, Homemade In-Cab Winch Controller, Homemade S-Pod, DIY Rokmen Front Bumper, Homemade Rear Rock Crawler Bumper, 32" x 11.5" BFG MT's, Lockrite on the front D-30, Onboard Air
TEXAIR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is an sbec 2 controller. It is a different setup then yours.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
TEXAIR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah when I did the stroker I used the engine and wiring harness from a 1996 Cherokee.
'05 TJ Unlimited. Black, 4" Superlift. Warn M-8000, Homemade Disconnects, Homemade In-Cab Winch Controller, Homemade S-Pod, DIY Rokmen Front Bumper, Homemade Rear Rock Crawler Bumper, 32" x 11.5" BFG MT's, Lockrite on the front D-30, Onboard Air
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
That is an sbec 2 controller. It is a different setup then yours.
96' xj should be a j-tec controller, no?

Last edited by deathtrap; 06-23-2013 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: spelling
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yes
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

there's still no way I can think for the ECU to cause or be damaged buy a coil. I think they're just cheap Chinese aftermarket coils.you need to go with a better coil.
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #22
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
there's still no way I can think for the ECU to cause or be damaged buy a coil. I think they're just cheap Chinese aftermarket coils.you need to go with a better coil.
This ^^

Hesco whom used to run AMCs race program only used/uses a factory OEM coil. They have the reliability and voltage output that you are looking for.

http://www.hesco.us/
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #23
TEXAIR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When i get back from my trip i will install the factory coil and ECM (since i alre.ady purchased it). I willa keep an eye on it and report back
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #24
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, this is really interesting. I don't see how the ECM can open the coil secondary. I can see how poorly gapped plugs may cause the an overvoltage. If the wires were shorted, it may cause the coil to open, but the engine wouldn't run or run poorly.
As Artie Johnson would have said, "velly interesting".
Regards,
Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #25
TEXAIR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

JWELK,

The shop foreman told me that there is no way the ECM will burn out the coil, but the coil could cause the ECM to fail.

I installed the new factory coil and since the ECM was already ordered and received, I installed it as well. I checked all the plugs and verified the gap setting was correct. The plugs looked good too. I pulled the cap and noticed bad pitting on the contact points and the rotor was badly pitted too. So I replaced those as well.

I was still unsure of the difference between the factory coil and the after market coil. he main difference I see is that the factory coil is made in Japan while the after market is Chinese made. The other difference is the size of the pins on the plug. The factory coil pins are actually thinner which surprised me. But the plug seems to fit better with little movement. Strange but interesting.

I will drive it and see if the problem is taken care of. It may be awhile, but I will try to report back.
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Watching this with interest. For one... is the code stored actually real? Seems so as a replacement coil and an Ohm test of the secondary in fact confirms this (or has it?). What are the ohm values of the secondary of the failed coils versus a new coil? Just want to make sure we are not chasing our tail here.
As others have stated the secondary of the ignition coil can only be blown from bad spark plugs or wires to/from. The ECM only supplies a ground to allow this circuit to complete, no current involved with respect to the ECM. I also wonder if this rig is using a Cherokee ECM or Grand ECM with 4.0L? Are you soley relying on OBDII codes to diagnose? What codes are stored with the OBD1 key method?
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.