Blowing starter fuse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blowing starter fuse

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
PAOLOME

Blowing starter fuse

Hey Folks,

I keep blowing my 40 amp starter fuse in my fuse block next to the battery. Any suggestions where to start trouble shooting?

The only extra electrical stuff I've added is my stereo deck.

Thanks and Aloha.

Paolo

Unread 08-15-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
mat626

do you possibly have a bad starter? you could try putting in a larger fuse to fix the problem till you find out whats wrong
mat626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
xeon

If you put a larger fuse in, you can damage your Jeep even more. You can burn the wires and what not out. Does the start work? Are you able to start the Jeep? There is a short somewhere. Keep looking and start cleaning the starter wire ends and make sure they dont touch . Make sure you pull the negetive wire off battery before you do any work. Hope this helps!
Unread 08-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
RB_

ditto on what xeon just told you. Starter cable or maybe a wire running off the batt.....if no luck i would pop the starter and do a bench test(take to you're local parts store and ask them to do it if you dont have access to the tools/meters most will do it for free) is the fuse blowing when you try to start or just turn the key on or even with key off?
[URL=http://hometown.aol.com/jdandrb/index.html ]pics of the monster here[/URL]
[COLOR=Red]"Ugly Jeep Rescue League" Member #1[/COLOR]
RB_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2005, 07:30 PM   #5
zolon
2012 JK Wrangler 

When you take it in to get bench tested, make sure they do it more then once. Had a starter for a different car that the pinion gear would stick on once in awhile. This would cause it to over amp. But it didnt' ALWAYS do it.. On the third time I took it in to get started, it stuck.
zolon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i'd check the cables and the terminals for loose connections and corrosion before pulling the starter. either one can cause a voltage drop at the starter and cause it to overdraw on the amps. slice the insulation of the cables lengthwise at the ends and have a look underneath too. I've seen cables that look fine until you look under the insulation. start with the easy stuff

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #7
PAOLOME

Right on fellas! I've blown 40 and 50 amp fuses as soon as I put them in. Only on one occasion did I put a 40 amp fuse in and the Jeep started fine only to blow it again 3 hours later.

I'm going to clean, inspect, and tidy up the connections and see if that does the trick. If not then I'll get the starter bench tested and probably just replace it since its probably due for a replacement.

Thanks again for the help!

Paolo
Unread 08-15-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
Lager
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Never replace a fuse thats blowing with a larger value, you could do some great harm to your electrical system. Does your fuse blow when you first put it in, or when you hit the key to start? Our Jeeps are getting old, so sometimes we have to repair things that other owners have done. An alarm taps into the starter wire under the dash ( most times) and if the connection is poorly done, then maybe thats causing your problem because it's shorting to ground. If you don't have an alarm , I would guess that your starter motor is going bad.

Good luck.
Lager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
UTTKE
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I have the same problem, but when I put a new starter in, it will start. then an hour or a day or a week will go by and then I go to start and it grrr then nothing. Fuse blows.
I have changed my coil, starter, twice now and even had custom battery cables made.
I need some ideas here. I cant even start it and I am going crazy.
UTTKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.