block heater - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > block heater

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Reply
Unread 11-24-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
19renegade91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: yarmouth, nova scotia
Posts: 145
block heater

just wondering if the block heater on my 91 is stock and its gettin winter here.. is it wise to use it or is it not significant enough to eliminate cold starts

19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
reeves_yj_88
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 108
I always use my block heater, it definitely helps on those colder mornings. If it starts fine without it maybe you wont need it, but mine gets used often in the winter months. 88, thing still works...
__________________
I thought it was common knowledge, you don't buy a YJ because you're broke... You go broke because you bought a YJ!
reeves_yj_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
19renegade91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: yarmouth, nova scotia
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves_yj_88
I always use my block heater, it definitely helps on those colder mornings. If it starts fine without it maybe you wont need it, but mine gets used often in the winter months. 88, thing still works...
awsome i just thoght it may be after market junk. ill be using the jeep all winter ...how long do you plug it in for? if you leavit plugged in all night is that ok?
19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 14304 Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19renegade91 View Post
awsome i just thoght it may be after market junk. ill be using the jeep all winter ...how long do you plug it in for? if you leavit plugged in all night is that ok?
Most everybody I know that has one just leaves it plugged in overnight. They are limited to about 1500 watts usually (10 amps on a household circuit) so it won't really hurt anything to just leave it on. The ones that I've used keep the block at about room temperature (70F or 25C) this way. It'll be fine.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 11-24-2011 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: sp
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Louie4
Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 9,528
I believe some of the jeeps up North were outfitted with them. I probably wouldn't use one based on my location but if I lived in y'alls parts I'd use it every night in the Winter.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
1998zj
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,848
I forgot I have one, I have never used it. It fires right up, even at -15*F.
__________________
"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now"
1998zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
nembudonna
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: northwest, ark.
Posts: 903
Use it. But do like one person suggested. Put the cord over your rearview mirror so you don't foreget to unplug it. My friend drove to the resturant one morning and everyone asked him if it was still pluged in. That happens.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Spuznick242
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , PA
Posts: 805
I wish it got cold enough here for me to use one but unfortuantly we get screwed come summer and winter. Gets just hot enough to be unconfortable come summer and winter is usually a mess.
__________________
DD- 1995 YJ 2.5L, Cat delete, 19lb injectors, 30/9.5r15
Trail Rig- 1994 YJ 4.0L, Rubicon Express 4.5inch lift, 1inch body, D30 Aussie, 33/12.5/r15 Cooper Mud Terrains, front bumper, rocker guards
Spuznick242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 14304 Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I believe some of the jeeps up North were outfitted with them. I probably wouldn't use one based on my location but if I lived in y'alls parts I'd use it every night in the Winter.
You know what else works really good? Battery blankets. Kinda like a little electric heating pad for batteries. You know from basic engineering/physics and chem that reactions happen slower in the cold. Most batteries put out less juice when cold, they are designed and tested at standard temp and pressure. Which means 68F at sea level. The battery blanket wired in parallel with a block heater is the ultimate combo in my experience - it fires right up just like it was summertime. Warms right up too, so you get faster heat in the cab. We used to use that exact setup on the big diesels (18-wheelers, generators, and caterpilars) at work.
Our experience as a company was that battery blankets paid for themselves because the batts lasted so much longer.
.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 11-24-2011 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: exp
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
pasinbuy
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
You know what else works really good? Battery blankets. Kinda like a little electric heating pad for batteries. You know from basic engineering/physics and chem that reactions happen slower in the cold. Most batteries put out less juice when cold, they are designed and tested at standard temp and pressure. Which means 68F at sea level. The battery blanket wired in parallel with a block heater is the ultimate combo in my experience - it fires right up just like it was summertime. Warms right up too, so you get faster heat in the cab. We used to use that exact setup on the big diesels (18-wheelers, generators, and caterpilars) at work.
Our experience as a company was that battery blankets paid for themselves because the batts lasted so much longer.
.
Very true, I remember living in Michigan and it getting so cold that the fuel oil for heat would gell up. Automobiles would also be very hard to start and take a while to warm up. So a battery warmer along with a block heater would be a good standby tool for the extreme northern cold nights.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
19renegade91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: yarmouth, nova scotia
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
I believe some of the jeeps up North were outfitted with them. I probably wouldn't use one based on my location but if I lived in y'alls parts I'd use it every night in the Winter.
im in canada and its a canadian model. its got the funky renegade flares and looks fairly clean. the block heater looks stock. my battery is good and cranks right over but the motor isisnt liking the cold morning i should chanhe my oil to a thinner one but i get worried the oil pump wouldnt pump with as much pressure with a thinner oil. im deffinatly going to use it every night.. im in the maritimes
19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
adrianboehm
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: vancouver, bc
Posts: 66
What is a block heater ?
It might be a noob question .
__________________
Adrian Boehm
adrianboehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #13
SnowdogMarc
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19renegade91 View Post
im in canada and its a canadian model. its got the funky renegade flares and looks fairly clean. the block heater looks stock. my battery is good and cranks right over but the motor isisnt liking the cold morning i should chanhe my oil to a thinner one but i get worried the oil pump wouldnt pump with as much pressure with a thinner oil. im deffinatly going to use it every night.. im in the maritimes
Just about every Canadian built vehicle has one installed in them before they roll off the lot. Standard equipment.



Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianboehm View Post
What is a block heater ?
It might be a noob question .
It's basically a water heater that installs in the block and keeps your vehicle happy and warm when it's -30 out so it will start when you have to go to work in the morning. Makes it think it's in Florida and not Antarctica LOL....that is as long as you remember to plug it in at night
__________________
l We're here for a good time. Not a long time. So have a good time the sun can't shine every day.
l_______
/l ,[_____],
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.