block heater - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > block heater

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-24-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

block heater

just wondering if the block heater on my 91 is stock and its gettin winter here.. is it wise to use it or is it not significant enough to eliminate cold starts

19renegade91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
reeves_yj_88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I always use my block heater, it definitely helps on those colder mornings. If it starts fine without it maybe you wont need it, but mine gets used often in the winter months. 88, thing still works...
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves_yj_88
I always use my block heater, it definitely helps on those colder mornings. If it starts fine without it maybe you wont need it, but mine gets used often in the winter months. 88, thing still works...
awsome i just thoght it may be after market junk. ill be using the jeep all winter ...how long do you plug it in for? if you leavit plugged in all night is that ok?
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19renegade91 View Post
awsome i just thoght it may be after market junk. ill be using the jeep all winter ...how long do you plug it in for? if you leavit plugged in all night is that ok?
Most everybody I know that has one just leaves it plugged in overnight. They are limited to about 1500 watts usually (10 amps on a household circuit) so it won't really hurt anything to just leave it on. The ones that I've used keep the block at about room temperature (70F or 25C) this way. It'll be fine.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 11-24-2011 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: sp
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I believe some of the jeeps up North were outfitted with them. I probably wouldn't use one based on my location but if I lived in y'alls parts I'd use it every night in the Winter.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot I have one, I have never used it. It fires right up, even at -15*F.
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Use it. But do like one person suggested. Put the cord over your rearview mirror so you don't foreget to unplug it. My friend drove to the resturant one morning and everyone asked him if it was still pluged in. That happens.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wish it got cold enough here for me to use one but unfortuantly we get screwed come summer and winter. Gets just hot enough to be unconfortable come summer and winter is usually a mess.
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I believe some of the jeeps up North were outfitted with them. I probably wouldn't use one based on my location but if I lived in y'alls parts I'd use it every night in the Winter.
You know what else works really good? Battery blankets. Kinda like a little electric heating pad for batteries. You know from basic engineering/physics and chem that reactions happen slower in the cold. Most batteries put out less juice when cold, they are designed and tested at standard temp and pressure. Which means 68F at sea level. The battery blanket wired in parallel with a block heater is the ultimate combo in my experience - it fires right up just like it was summertime. Warms right up too, so you get faster heat in the cab. We used to use that exact setup on the big diesels (18-wheelers, generators, and caterpilars) at work.
Our experience as a company was that battery blankets paid for themselves because the batts lasted so much longer.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 11-24-2011 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: exp
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
You know what else works really good? Battery blankets. Kinda like a little electric heating pad for batteries. You know from basic engineering/physics and chem that reactions happen slower in the cold. Most batteries put out less juice when cold, they are designed and tested at standard temp and pressure. Which means 68F at sea level. The battery blanket wired in parallel with a block heater is the ultimate combo in my experience - it fires right up just like it was summertime. Warms right up too, so you get faster heat in the cab. We used to use that exact setup on the big diesels (18-wheelers, generators, and caterpilars) at work.
Our experience as a company was that battery blankets paid for themselves because the batts lasted so much longer.
Very true, I remember living in Michigan and it getting so cold that the fuel oil for heat would gell up. Automobiles would also be very hard to start and take a while to warm up. So a battery warmer along with a block heater would be a good standby tool for the extreme northern cold nights.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
19renegade91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
im in canada and its a canadian model. its got the funky renegade flares and looks fairly clean. the block heater looks stock. my battery is good and cranks right over but the motor isisnt liking the cold morning i should chanhe my oil to a thinner one but i get worried the oil pump wouldnt pump with as much pressure with a thinner oil. im deffinatly going to use it every night.. im in the maritimes
Unread 11-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
adrianboehm
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What is a block heater ?
It might be a noob question .
Unread 11-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #13
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19renegade91 View Post
im in canada and its a canadian model. its got the funky renegade flares and looks fairly clean. the block heater looks stock. my battery is good and cranks right over but the motor isisnt liking the cold morning i should chanhe my oil to a thinner one but i get worried the oil pump wouldnt pump with as much pressure with a thinner oil. im deffinatly going to use it every night.. im in the maritimes
Just about every Canadian built vehicle has one installed in them before they roll off the lot. Standard equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianboehm View Post
What is a block heater ?
It might be a noob question .
It's basically a water heater that installs in the block and keeps your vehicle happy and warm when it's -30 out so it will start when you have to go to work in the morning. Makes it think it's in Florida and not Antarctica LOL....that is as long as you remember to plug it in at night
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.