Blew Drive shaft up, now Reverselight is stuck "on" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blew Drive shaft up, now Reverselight is stuck "on"

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
ReversePhase
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Blew Drive shaft up, now Reverselight is stuck "on"

So, on my way home I was turning at a light, gave it some gas and "POW" bang bang bang. Looked under the car, and notice that I snapped the Drive shaft "yolk". I got lucky it broke on my street, so i put it into 4x4 to limp it the 400meters to my driveway, other than a nasty dent in the muffler every thing else looks like its still ok. Ordered the new yolk today should be here tomorrow. I also noticed that after this happened, my Reverse light seems to be stuck on, Is this a normal thing missing the yolk in the transfer-case, or a un-related coincidence. Also it was the rear output yolk I snapped in to if that makes a difference.

ReversePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

my guess is the snapped shaft somehow did something to the wiring to your reverse switch. the switch itself is on the tranny so I would take a look there. could be the shaft bouncing around pinched a wire or something.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
ReversePhase
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Also its a manual Transmission , forgot to mention that.

Looked around the area where the drive shaft snapped, Can't see any wires hanging around in range of the shaft to hit. the only wires i can see on the tranny goto the Very top, 4 wires... are they for the reverse light sensor ? or am i looking for more wires some where else ?
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReversePhase View Post
Also its a manual Transmission , forgot to mention that.

Looked around the area where the drive shaft snapped, Can't see any wires hanging around in range of the shaft to hit. the only wires i can see on the tranny goto the Very top, 4 wires... are they for the reverse light sensor ? or am i looking for more wires some where else ?
there should be two switches screwed into the side of the tranny each about 1" diameter, on the pass side if i remember right. they look like plugs in the body of the trans with wires going to them. one is the reverse light switch, the other is the 5th gear shift light override so the shift light doesn't come on when you're in 5th gear. they should be towards the rear of the tranny near where it meets the transfer case. turn the key on and then unplug one, then the other. if your reverse lights go out then you're switch is likely bad. could be that the switch was going to fail soon and the vibes from the broken shaft finished it off. if unplugging the switches has no effect on the lights, then you've got a short in the wires somewhere feeding power to the lights all the time. the switch is wired hot so long as the key is on (which makes for a handy work light at the back of the jeep if you need) so they only need the switch to make contact and finish the connection to the bulbs in order to light. the bulbs themselves ground through the housing and into the body.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
ReversePhase
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm, Thanks for the info, The stock tail lights where removed and tail some after market lights where installed with no reverse lights, And for Safty cert in Canada, you must have a reverse light. So i wired up a light for it. Till then there had been no light on the circuit for prob 10+ years, And I have had to clean every other circut connection points on this thing ( All the after market lights where Dead, lots of dirty connections and rotted sockets ) Ill probably just get lucky and have to clean up the switch. Thanks for the info, ill see how it goes in the morning with day light.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.