Bleeding Brakes...No Fluid Comes Out the Bleeder Screw - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bleeding Brakes...No Fluid Comes Out the Bleeder Screw

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 01-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
martells2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bleeding Brakes...No Fluid Comes Out the Bleeder Screw

I just put on new pads, calipers, and rotors and am now trying to bleed the system. I have filled the resovoir back up and had a buddy pump it until the pedal got stiff. Then he held the pedal down and I loosened the front passenger side bleeder screw. Nothing was coming out so I removed the entire bleeder screw and no fluid comes out! What am I doing wrong here? Does the vehicle need to be on to do this? Could the banjo bolt be in wrong? I didn't see a torque spec for it so I just made it hand tight. Thanks!

martells2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well sounds like your using the proper technique. There's probably a blockage somewhere, i'd bet it's the caliper itself. Did any fluid come out when you cut loose the banjo bolt for the caliper?
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
martells2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexelsteve
Well sounds like your using the proper technique. There's probably a blockage somewhere, i'd bet it's the caliper itself. Did any fluid come out when you cut loose the banjo bolt for the caliper?
I just came back to the garage and noticed brake fluid on the bottom of the piece the banjo bolt goes through. Does that mean its not tight enough? How tight should these things be? Also, the calipers are brand new...what kind of blockage would it be?
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
rexmundi
Old and Obnoxious

You may have to have your buddy pump the brakes quite a few times to get all the air out of the lines. Have him pump them up, open the bleeder valve when the peddle goes to the floor close the bleeder valve and have him pump them up again. Repeat this process until you get fluid. Do the furthest wheel from the master cylinder first. And be sure you keep the master cyl. full or you will just get air back in the lines.
rexmundi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

banjo bolt should be good n tight, not sure the torque specs but should be way tighter than hand tight. Kinda like the oil drain plug...you just know when it's right. Didn't forget the copper washers between the banjo fitting and the caliper, right?
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just to clarify...pump up the brakes then hold the pedal down fairly hard, while holding the pedal cut the bleeder loose. Your assistants foot should go to the floor. When it's at the floor close the bleeder. Then pump up again, hold and cut loose the bleeder, again to the floor, close the bleeder, etc.. Should usually do that at least 3 times per wheel, checking the fluid level in the reservior inbetween each wheel.
Unread 01-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
martells2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexelsteve
banjo bolt should be good n tight, not sure the torque specs but should be way tighter than hand tight. Kinda like the oil drain plug...you just know when it's right. Didn't forget the copper washers between the banjo fitting and the caliper, right?
nope, one on each side of the banjo bolt
Unread 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This may sound like a stupid question and I am not real sure you could even do it but the bleeder screw is at the top of the caliper right?
Unread 01-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
martells2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS
This may sound like a stupid question and I am not real sure you could even do it but the bleeder screw is at the top of the caliper right?
somewhat...you can't miss it. The banjo bolt hold the brake line to the caliper. Then the other two bolts bolt the caliper down. The remaining and smallest one is the bleeder. BTW, I finally got the brakes bled. Lets just say my buddy wasn't working at his full potential
Unread 01-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martells2
I just came back to the garage and noticed brake fluid on the bottom of the piece the banjo bolt goes through. Does that mean its not tight enough? How tight should these things be? Also, the calipers are brand new...what kind of blockage would it be?

Don't you have to replace an ring or seal when you remove the banjo bolts and replace calipers
ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
martells2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufatbastehd
Don't you have to replace an ring or seal when you remove the banjo bolts and replace calipers
yeah, I said I put two new washers on either side of the banjo bolt...they come with the calipers.
Unread 01-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #12
NEPhillyJeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Any luck?

How old is the fluid in your brake system? I had a buddy of mine that never had changed his fluid in years...well to make a long story short he had a blockage at the brake proportioner that distributes fluid to all the system(front and back, left and right) Other then that when you did change out the calibor how much fluid came out... you may just have a lot of air to bleed out.
NEPhillyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
martells2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBchReynolds
How old is the fluid in your brake system? I had a buddy of mine that never had changed his fluid in years...well to make a long story short he had a blockage at the brake proportioner that distributes fluid to all the system(front and back, left and right) Other then that when you did change out the calibor how much fluid came out... you may just have a lot of air to bleed out.
I said I got it fixed a few posts up
Unread 01-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martells2
I said I got it fixed a few posts up
well you don't have to be smug about it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.