Blazer blower motor upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blazer blower motor upgrade

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 10-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
BIGHORN66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Blazer blower motor upgrade

Alright, newbie question here, what is a "Blazer blower motor upgrade"??
Can it be done on a 91?
What all is involved?
Anybody got a write up on it?

Thanks.

BIGHORN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It was an upgrade to the heater fan. I forget exactly which year they started putting the new fans in YJ's but they are bigger diameter and will require you cut the hole in the firewall bigger. Siemens PM-102 is the replacement fan for YJ's. All replacement fans are the large diameter fan now. There has been debate over whether the Blazer fan is PM-102 or PM-105 recently, but when I first started researching it the Blazer fan was PM-102 and so is the current YJ replacement.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...oundup-503604/

This has really good info on getting to it...... Take a look at post #101 there too......
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/heater-core-219329/
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
kenh
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just changed my heater core & blower motor this last weekend. I used the PM-102 and it works great, just had to make the hole in the firewall bigger. I 'think' you may not even have to do that in a '91, but I'm not positive. That being said, there are multiple write ups in the FAQ for the blower motor and heater core, which basically involve the same steps:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-first-580536/
Go to the "Heating and A/C" section.
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I did my '92, I had to trim. The difference in airflow is amazing.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
kenh
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The difference is pretty amazing.

Also, just to relate my experience since I just got done with it - in one of those write ups the guy says it only took him a couple hours working at a leisurely pace... it probably took me 8 hours between two days. Part of that I'm sure is that I'm a noob when it comes to a lot of this stuff, but I also ran into multiple issues
- radiator apparently not having a petcock valve, so I got fluid everywhere when I drained it by disconnecting the lower hose. I did have a bin underneath to collect the fluid, but removing the hose didn't go smoothly as I had imagined.
- needing to replace hoses that had been basically baked to the old heater core over time, and trying to find the replacements
- not having all the tools I needed before hand (I had a big enough hole saw for the new hole, but needed a smaller one to cut a wood circle to use as a guide inside the old hole while I cut the new one)
- trying to figure how to get to the clip between the housing and the body to get it disconnected, that damn thing took me forever.
- Also, having a second person helps quite a bit when re-installing the housing.

So just be prepared to have your jeep possibly out of commission for a little while.
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
BIGHORN66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies !!!
You guys are great.
BIGHORN66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.